Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to keeping formatting when using output tool into excel

TeresaZhang7517
7 - Meteor

Hi All,

I have an issue when I use output tool to overwrite formatted excel file.

As below, it is output result. First red highlight apply formatting, but second blue highlight section lost formatting.

My workflow used BUD tool to output table header and table data, and output tool options as below. I don't know why formatting is lost even I checked Preserve Formatting on Overwrite option.

Attached demo work, Need your help!!! Thanks.

TeresaZhang7517_0-1656471901353.png

Below is correct result that I want to get.

TeresaZhang7517_0-1656473793048.png

TeresaZhang7517_2-1656472242098.png

6 REPLIES 6
Adrian_T
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @TeresaZhang7517,

When your workflow is configured to "Overwrite Sheet or Range", you need to ensure that all rows in the Format Template file for your specified range of A5:R50 contains sample data. Here is a link to a community thread which discusses the same issue: LINK

I duplicated your first sample row in the <FormattingTemplate.xlsx> file to row 50 (in line with your specified range), and was able to generate your intended formatted output as shown below.

I have attached the edited Formatting Template and workflow as well. Hope this helps! 🙂

Adrian_T_0-1656485792358.png

flying008
14 - Magnetar

When your workflow is configured to "Overwrite Sheet or Range", you need to ensure that all rows in the Format Template file for your specified range contains sample data😛

Fulfill !

TeresaZhang7517
7 - Meteor

Hi @Adrian_T,

Thanks for your reply, but it couldn't solve my problem as well. Because my output records count will be dynamic and will contain some formulas, so I can't fill in data into format template file in advance. Is there solution to overwrite blank template?

Thanks again.

Regards,

Teresa

flying008
14 - Magnetar

Hi,@TeresaZhang7517 

You only need fulfill the all blank cells in the output range of template once. if you have some formula , It's ok . 

Adrian_T
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @TeresaZhang7517,

Did the output of the attached workflow fit your requirements? You would note that the only requirement is to have the rows filled. Alteryx will overwrite "unused" rows with blanks and keep all your formula as well.

So while less ideal, you could really be looking at duplicating the rows in your template excel to a large row count to begin with. Again, depending on the output of your workflow, the excess rows in your template will be overwritten with blanks.

TeresaZhang7517
7 - Meteor

Hi @Adrian_T,

Yes, I will fill in a large data in my format template file. And use Generate Rows Tool to empty useless rows.

Thanks for your help a lot.

Regards,

Teresa

Labels