Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to import multiple Excel sheets one at a time to an Alteryx Designer workflow?

8 - Asteroid

Hi Alteryx Community,

This is the first time I post, and I'm relatively inexperienced with advanced Alteryx tools. If you need additional details, please let me know.

I'm trying to import multiple Excel sheets one at a time to an existing workflow that will modify these sheets one at a time and output some data. All these sheets share the same layout/format.

I've built a macro that successfully imported multiple sheets from multiple Excel workbooks, but the problem is that only the first sheet imported went through the workflow and outputted data.

What I'm trying to achieve is to import all sheets from Excel workbooks stored in a folder, having each sheet run through the workflow and output some data (a new Excel file) instead of having only the first sheet imported go through the workflow.

EDIT: 20 December 2021

45179902_2-1639980770800.png

I've attached my original workflow at request. This workflow has two inputs and one output. The output file and the top input file are the same file. The bottom input file is another file. All these files are Excel workbooks (one of them is macro-enabled). What I'm doing is reading in two Excel files of data and append the data from the bottom input file to the top input file. The current workflow can achieve this by importing one sheet and running the workflow. The workflow in-between is configuration for formatting the data from the second input file before it is appended to the first input file. Then the output file becomes the top input file again, and the workflow goes on and on. The thing is that this workflow must be manually executed every time a bottom input file is imported and the in-between workflow can process only one sheet at a time. What I'm trying to do is to have this workflow running once and have all bottom input files imported using either a wildcard or batch macro so that I don't have to manually import a file and run each time. 

EDIT: 21 December 2021

Thanks for your attention. I've figured this out by converting a chunk of the original workflow into a batch macro instead of only the input data tool.

Please help!

4 REPLIES 4
Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@45179902 
There are a lot of discussion about this topic if search in this community.😁

For example, this one should help.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Excel-spreadsheet-import-multiple-shee...

8 - Asteroid

@Qiu As mentioned, I've managed to import multiple Excel sheet. I certainly have checked the community before posting this question. Unfortunately, I'm still not able to get this specific task done with all those solutions. I still don't understand what is that error that caused only the first sheet to go through the workflow instead of all the sheets imported.

This is more of a batch macro question instead of import question~

8 - Asteroid

@Qiu Hi, I've attached my original workflow and included more details.

Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@45179902 
I am sorry for misunderstanding your question.
Can you share your flow, if that is possible?

Labels