Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to filter data based on the categories in the actual input?

yoyoumysin
6 - Meteoroid

How can I set up a filter that separate the flows based on the categories from the actual input?  For instance, in the attached Excel, the Industry Classifications could be a slightly different set of categories.  Every time when I read the data file, I want to check the available categories under "Industry Classifications" and for each of such category, I want to calculate the weight average of DSO weighted by REV.  I do not want do a manual exhaustive filter by all possible category.  Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @yoyoumysin - Here is what you can try:

ArtApa_0-1659252856842.png

ArtApa_1-1659253069256.png

yoyoumysin
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks, this looks promising.  Any chance I can be able to join them together so the user doesn't have to manually run the second step?

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

@yoyoumysin, the example shared by @ArtApa  can be modified in such a way that you need not run it manually but instead use a chained app workflow.

Step 1: Select a file using the file browser.

grazitti_sapna_0-1659335109389.png

Instead of running the workflow manually now, it runs as per the user's input although it will do the same thing technically but now the workflows are linked.

Step 2: Select the values from the list.

grazitti_sapna_1-1659335169589.png

Step 3: The output.

grazitti_sapna_2-1659335198880.png

There is no other way to combine this all in a single workflow as your Industry classification will be dynamic and the values may change so in order to overwrite the old values with the new ones you will have to refresh the workflow and the chained app is seems to work in your use case

Thanks!

Sapna Gupta
ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @yoyoumysin - You don't have to run them manually. They are chained. You just need to run FilterAA 00.yxwz, as shown below:

ArtApa_0-1659336582798.png

Then the first app will call the second:

ArtApa_1-1659336651497.png

ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx
Labels