Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to dynamically use unzipped (downloaded zip) files as input file?

yswaaij001
6 - Meteoroid

Hi everybody, I finally found a way to build a macro that downloads zip files from a specific website location and subsequently unpacks / unzips the downloaded zip file to an Excel file in a designated folder. The unpacked data is subsequently used as input file for a workflow (the macro is part of this workflow). Each month results in a new unzipped file in the current setup, meaning that I have to adjust the connection configuration manually each month to get the actual data into the workflow (see the input file in control container 15 in attached macro and attached screen print which indicates the monthly unzipped files). Does anybody know how I can automate the connection figuration in the input file (of control container 15 in attached macro) in such a way that the input file in this macro will automatically select the actual / latest unzipped file (provided that this is possible)? Hopefully somebody can help me out here...

thx in advance for your thoughts on this one.

6 REPLIES 6
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @yswaaij001 

Instead of using an input Data tool, use a Dynamic Input configured to use the file name produced by your download tool.  

Dan

yswaaij001
6 - Meteoroid

thx for your input Dan.

much appreciated.

Do you know how to configure this dynamic input tool in this respect?

messi007
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@yswaaij001,

Please see below how you can do that:

ReadZip_20240212.PNG

Attached the workflow,

Hope that helps!

Regards

aatalai
14 - Magnetar

for the unzipping have you looked at this in the gallery? https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Community-Gallery/Unzip-zip-and-yxzp-files/ta-p/1161434

yswaaij001
6 - Meteoroid

thx!

think I'm moving in the right direction now, even though the workflow still reports an error in the dynamic input tool (see attached updated workflow). Does that have anything to do with the template file test.zip in the dynamic input tool? if not, what else could be the problem here? the target file (see attached zip file with the zipped CSV file in it) is in the indicated target directory. Any additional thoughts on this one?

yswaaij001
6 - Meteoroid

no not yet, thx.

will check it.

Labels