Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to convert Bloomberg pricing and round up to 4 decimal places

MarkPitcock
7 - Meteor

Let me start by providing the excel formula below. I'm trying to convert this into Alteryx in the best possible way. I download pricing from Bloomberg which has various conventions. Treasures are priced as fractions 99-03 = 99,09375 (99+(3/32)) or 99-03+ = 99,109375 (99+(3.5/32)). Other bond prices have 14 digits after the comma which I need to be rounded up to the 4th decimal place  

=IF($I8="","",IF(ISNUMBER($I8),$I8,IF(ISERROR(LEFT($I8,FIND("-",$I8)-1)),LEFT($I8,FIND(".",$I8)-1),LEFT($I8,FIND("-",$I8)-1))+IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("+",IF(ISERROR(MID($I8,FIND("-",$I8)+1,LEN($I8))),$I8,MID($I8,FIND("-",$I8)+1,LEN($I8))))),LEFT(IF(ISERROR(MID($I8,FIND("-",$I8)+1,LEN($I8))),$I8,MID($I8,FIND("-",$I8)+1,LEN($I8))),LEN(IF(ISERROR(MID($I8,FIND("-",$I8)+1,LEN($I8))),$I8,MID($I8,FIND("-",$I8)+1,LEN($I8))))-1)/32+1/64,IF(ISNUMBER(FIND("-",IF(ISERROR(MID($I8,FIND("-",$I8)+1,LEN($I8))),$I8,MID($I8,FIND("-",$I8)+1,LEN($I8))))),LEFT(IF(ISERROR(MID($I8,FIND("-",$I8)+1,LEN($I8))),$I8,MID($I8,FIND("-",$I8)+1,LEN($I8))),LEN(IF(ISERROR(MID($I8,FIND("-",$I8)+1,LEN($I8))),$I8,MID($I8,FIND("-",$I8)+1,LEN($I8))))-1)/32-1/64,IF(ISERROR(MID($I8,FIND("-",$I8)+1,LEN($I8))),$I8,MID($I8,FIND("-",$I8)+1,LEN($I8)))/32))))

Any help would be much appreciated

4 REPLIES 4
jarrod
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

to me, this looks like a series of filters would work best. Maybe start by filtering for contains([DataField],'-') to find the 99-03 and 99-03+ cases, then add another filter after the "true" output for contains[DataField],'+') so you can break those down into two streams. after you have the data streams filtered by format, it's just a matter of breaking it down through parsing. you can apply a single parsing rule for each stream instead of trying to use a single formula to catch all of the cases. Then you can union all the streams when you've cleaned them up. 

MarkPitcock
7 - Meteor

Thanks Jarrod - good advice

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @MarkPitcock 

@jarrod gave some good advice, but you're still left with converting that Excel formula.  Here's a regex based solution that does that for you.

WF.png 

After splitting out the regular prices, the treasure prices are parsed using the following regex

Regex.png

The regex formula is this

(\d*)-(\d\d)(\+*)

(\d*) looks for zero or more number of digits representing the integer part

- looks for the "-"

(\d\d) looks for the 2 digit 32nds part

(\+*) looks for zero or more "+"

These groups are output to the various fields listed in the config

The formula used to calculate the final number is 

[IntegerPart]+[32s]*(1/32) + iif(isempty([64s]),0,1/64)

The iif() checks if [64s] is empty and returns 0 or 1/64 (= 0.5 * 1/32).  Note that the formula outputs to a fixed decimal (19.4) which rounds to 4 decimals.  You didn't specify whether the treasure prices are rounded.  If you don't want them rounded change the field to a double 

Dan

MarkPitcock
7 - Meteor

Wow Dan , this is amazing. I'm definitely going to use this . Thank you for your help everyone

Labels