Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to apply the same workflow on the refreshed dataset?

farahhassan4
5 - Atom

Hello,

I have created a workflow for inactive employees. I need to apply the same workflow on the refreshed dataset on a monthly basis. What should I do?

Thank you,

Farah

3 REPLIES 3
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @farahhassan4 

What's the input? An excel file? Database? Does your workflow have hardcoded dates used to filter/make columns? There are a lot of different ways to do this:

1. At the simplest, update the input tool and re-run
  2. If your workflow relies on dates/hardcoded things, there are steps to make it more dynamic
  3. If you have alteryx server, you could potentially schedule it to run monthly

Without knowing more info it's hard to say what the best course is, but there are definitely options. 

farahhassan4
5 - Atom

Hi,

Appreciate your response. 

So the input are 3 excel files. The filter takes given month's dates. So for example, in March there will be terminations for the month of March. In April, when I upload the data, I may have to change the filter for April dates and so on.

How can I update the input tool?

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @farahhassan4 

What you may want to do is leverage an input tool with a wildcard input (i.e. C:\FilePath\*.xlsx) to take the current excel file(s) in your directory (moving last months to a 'processed' folder or something along those lines). There are also ways to make the date filter dynamic using the datetime functions. For example you could make a range using the datetimetrim function paired with the datetimenow function to create a range between the first and last of the current month. 

Again, the more specifics you provide the better, but hopefully this helps get you in the right direction.

Labels