Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to apply multi-row to multiple fields

Genevieve
8 - Asteroid

I am looking to combine a multi-row with multi-field. On a student dataset, some had one row per registration year and others had one record per student. I generated rows to replicate the one row per registration year. But now I have about 50 fields to backfill with the missing data.

Is there a way to combine the tools multi-row and multi-fields using the formula below?

IF not isnull([row-1: _Current-field_])
AND isnull([row 0: Current-field_])
THEN [row-1: _Current-field_])
ELSE [_Current-field_])
ENDIF

I was thinking of using a batch macro but got a bit stuck on how I would send the selected fields through to the macro to deal with one at a time.

4 REPLIES 4
habdalla
5 - Atom

I have had the same exact issue for a while. I would love to be useful and answer this question but I need just as much help :). 

FinnCharlton
13 - Pulsar

@Genevieve , how about transposing the data, so the data from all 50 fields are in one field, and using the 'Group By' option in the multi-row formula tool?

BEFORE:

image.png

AFTER:

image.png

DataNath
17 - Castor

Hey @Genevieve@patrick_digan created a Multi-Row-Field Formula macro a while ago which combines the features of the 2. You could download that and try it in your workflow - link here: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Community-Gallery/Multi-Row-Field-Column-Macro-example/ta-p/879896

Genevieve
8 - Asteroid

Thank you, @DataNath and @patrick_digan  that macro will be used often.

Labels