Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to adjust Dynamic file name save location (Novice)

Pingu
10 - Fireball

Hi everyone, I appreciated your valued support and I hope you can help me!

With the help of all the resources on here I managed to create a workflow and have a dynamic filename based on filename+todays date. The issue I have is that it keeps saving the .xlsx output in the same folder as the .yxmd file. I did not have this issue before the filename was dynamic, then I could just select the correct location via the output tool.

Where do I make the error?.

It does not use the below folder, Instead it puts the output in the same folder where the workflow is saved.

Pingu_0-1577454052398.png

Pingu_3-1577453865059.png

Pingu_4-1577453886092.png

7 REPLIES 7
jrgo
14 - Magnetar

Hi @Pingu 

It's because you have the option set to change the entire file path.

Unfortunately, this is the option that you'll need to keep it as if you're also specifying the sheet name. So what you have to do is update the formula that creates the filename and also include the directory path.

Hope this helps!

Jimmy
Teknion Data Solutions

Pingu
10 - Fireball

Thanks jrgo,

So if it states a whole directory path - Alteryx will recognize and use that one instead of the current folder? I will look into your suggestion and reply if i got it to work. 

To which other solution do you refer? In thise case the sheetname does not have to be specified necessarily, it is more that this solution is more flexible in case there will be more sheets / different sheetnames possibly later on. 

jrgo
14 - Magnetar

@Pingu 

I don't think there is an alternative solution. The other options in the Output tool to make it create a dynamically named file would target the sheet name, not the file name. So in this case, you have to use the "change entire file path" option and you'll need to supply it with a complete location. If the directory location is always the same, just concatenate it to the beginning of your [FileName] expression.

'C:\Users\somebody\Desktop\Alteryx Output test\'
+ '_Vemo_'
+ [DateToday]
+ '.xlsx|||Sheet1'
JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Pingu 

I believe you can do what you want using the WorkflowDirectory Constant within the formula.

So the same as @jrgo  mentioned however with the constant:

[Engine.WorkflowDirectory]
+ '_Vemo_'
+ [DateToday]
+ '.xlsx|||Sheet1'
Pingu
10 - Fireball

Thanks very much, suggested solution worked like a charm.

PoojaM15
5 - Atom

Hi, 

I have been trying the same results by following the process but the file is not getting saved in the required folder and I believe it is because of the folder name is too long. Is their any other way i can achieve this.

Thanks!

JoeS
Alteryx
Alteryx

@PoojaM15 wrote:

Hi, 

I have been trying the same results by following the process but the file is not getting saved in the required folder and I believe it is because of the folder name is too long. Is their any other way i can achieve this.

Thanks!

What's the error you are getting? Is it from the Output tool or the Formula?

If the latter can you increase the length of the field?

Labels