Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to add new data to old

CMCesar
6 - Meteoroid

Hey Alteryx community got a big question here,

So I have two sets of data I am inputting into my flow. The First, is one file, lets call it the master data, the second actually is a folder with x amount of files that are templates filled out with different information (but all in the same structure). Both sets of files are connected, the first task is to take info from the master and update it in the templates. The second is to see what in the master isn't found in the templates, after finding what's not there I need to add the new items to the templates.

I've been able to separate the newly added info from the master, but I don't know how to add it to its corresponding template to be able to output it in the end. Any idea on how I can configure the data into these already premade files. 

In the diagram below, I've highlighted where I attempted to join the newly added data to the premade files using the Union tool. The issue im running into is that I dont think the union tool is the right choice here and also how to finish out the flow and make sure the new info will populate in the files they belong to. 

CMCesar_0-1655329161816.png

If anyone needs more information or explanation please let me know, more than happy to explain. 

2 REPLIES 2
IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @CMCesar,

Could you provided an example of what data your combing and how you want them to interact/output? A simple example should help me understand the problem.

Thanks,

Ira

CMCesar
6 - Meteoroid

@IraWatt

Here is a Dummy example of the templates (think of each template as a client of mine with their info of items they sell that I buy). The master file has a list of all the parts from all the templates, and the first task was to update the info of the parts from the master into the templates of which each part belongs to, which I did using a find a replace tool function. The second task is to now add those new parts that are not in the templates of my clients but do belong on there. The master is not in the same format but once I separated the new parts that I need to use, I configured the data (using the select and formula tool) to match the templates. Which is the format found in the header row of the dummy file below.  

The first picture is how the separated new data from the master is coming out. The second picture is the info from my templates, I believe the issue I'm running into is that the second picture at the end of the columns there is a file name, which shows where that row comes from. But in the first picture (new info) I don't have a column with the file name therefore the new parts are not connected with the template is belongs to. Is there a way to connect those new parts to have that file name and be added in the templates in the out put?

CMCesar_2-1655388074142.png

CMCesar_3-1655388134654.png

Labels