Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to Run Iterative Macro until Error Resolves

SierraZ
5 - Atom

Hello!

I am running into an issue where I am needing to re-run one of my APIs multiple times due to a known LDAP error (authentication field is not valid). I am wanting to essentially create a loop where the loop that keeps trying the download tool breaks and continues on to the rest of the workflow once data is present.

Does anyone know how I could configure the Macro Output tool to support this? 

Additional info: I cannot run the full workflow more often as I am using multiple APIs within the workflow and the data source I am connecting to cannot handle frequent data pulls so I am trying to minimize the number of pulls by creating an authentication loop. 

Thank you! 

3 REPLIES 3
adamweaver39
9 - Comet

Hi @SierraZ ! I am not sure if I understand your question correctly, but have you already tried configuring an iterative macro as follows, setting a conditional rule to re-run every time your 'error' is present. If I understand that configuration correctly, it should tell the input to be rerun whenever the error is grabbed by the filter

rerun macro.jpg

SierraZ
5 - Atom

adamweaver39 I think that would work!! How do I set up these macros so the input will be rerun whenever the error is grabbed by the filter? I am only seeing how to iterate x number of times but not how to base that off of a T/F value. Thank you! 

adamweaver39
9 - Comet

Hey @SierraZ - okay, awesome! First, make sure your macro is set as iterative (left side of screen grab). Then to configure the iterative macro, you need your two outputs. The first "True" output is your final output, the second "False" output is what is configured to feed back into the input.  Then, at the top, "View" --> "Interface Designer" should get you to where you should be able to set your relationship between the "False" output and your input source. Did you already set all of that up, but it isn't configuring the way you want it to?

Labels