Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How do I prevent strings with 14 numberic chareacters or more from Truncating

PDempsey
7 - Meteor

Hi all, I have a .xls report with a column which contains various strings (V_WString), some are alpha, some are numeric, some are a mix of both. Some of the strings contain 14+ numeric characters such as "81099993230111" and when I run them through the workflow they appear truncated on the output as "8.11E+13". I have tried many different methods but I cannot get it to output the full, uninterrupted, 14 digit string on the csv output. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
FinnCharlton
13 - Pulsar

Hi @PDempsey , do you mean they appear as "8.11E+13" in the CSV file that you output? Are you using Excel? If so, it is likely that Excel is automatically changing the display of the number to scientific format for easy reading, and you can just change the display options in Excel.

Otherwise if this is happening in Alteryx, you can force the field to appear as a string. Add a select tool after you import the data and change the data type to a V_WString or V_WString:Forced.

Hope this helps!

PDempsey
7 - Meteor

thanks, seems it is an excel issue.

Labels