Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How do I emulate this join I'm doing in Tableau within Alteryx?

bfoll
6 - Meteoroid

Hello -

I have email data I've visualized in Tableau that I now need to advance a bit further with assistance from Alteryx. Essentially I have a primary table (Transactions (Emails)) where each row is an email exchanged between two people, the timestamp, the sender's ID, and the receiver's ID. The second table I have (People Metadata) provides me the dimensions that describe the person (person ID, locations, department, etc.). I join the metadata table to the transactions table twice because I need to show the flow of communication so one is joined on Sender ID = Person ID and the other on Receiver ID = Person ID

Screen Shot 2017-12-13 at 10.33.16 AM.png

This model enables me to see quantitatively how much email is being exchanged from one department to other departments, for example. How would you recommend I recreate these results in Alteryx? 

2 REPLIES 2
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@bfoll,

I would use 2 join tools like this:

capture.png

The first join operates on [From] = [email address] and the second join operates on [To] = [email address].  You could de-select the email address fields and rename departments either statically or dynamically.  I think that this is what you are looking to accomplish.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
bfoll
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks, Mark! That did the trick nicely. :) 

Labels