Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How Do I add new columns to a file based on referencing data from another source?

rdanella
7 - Meteor

Hello!

I am brand new to Alteryx and I am trying to figure out how to add information from one file to another without overwriting the information. I have a set of dates that I would like to append company fiscal month and year numbers into new columns. I would like to add columns B and C to the file that has column A in it. 

rdanella_0-1676305392304.png

3 REPLIES 3
ShankerV
17 - Castor

Hi @rdanella 

Please make use of Join tool and Union tool as below in the use case.

ShankerV_0-1676305801696.png

Many thanks

Shanker V

BS_THE_ANALYST
14 - Magnetar

@rdanella when you use the Input Data tool. It brings data into the workflow. When you click run, it will not write out to that file and overwrite it (unless you use the Output Data tool and tell it to).

For instance:
1) Point it to the file to bring in the data to the workflow

BS_THE_ANALYST_0-1676306012662.png

2) Add the formulas you need: I think mine are calculating what you want? If not, you can alter them. Afterwards, once you're happy. You can connect the formula tool to the Output Data tool and write out to a new file. The original one is still preserved UNLESS you direct the Output Tool to the same file path as the original file.

BS_THE_ANALYST_1-1676306530470.png

BS_THE_ANALYST
14 - Magnetar

@rdanella I misread the problem. If you're bringing two data sources together; @ShankerV 's approach is great here. 

Labels