Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

High value scoping selections

Jaloy_1973
7 - Meteor

Hi Community,

I'm just starting with Alteryx, and I'm struggling with a workflow. If anyone can help me, it would be appreciated.

I'm tring to make a workflow to sample a population using high value scoping. That is, we order the population from highest to lowest, and select the items whose cumulative sum is the % we define.

In the attached case, I want to select those items that represent at least the 50% of total population (Column  "RunTot_% TOTAL"). 

I was using a filter (see example), but the output gives me the highest items until the 48.75% of the total population, so it would be missing, in this case, another item to reach the minimum of 50% (final scope 50.58%).

I've tried another filters but without success.

Any idea, or suggestion?

Thanks,

Jordi

8 REPLIES 8
JamesCharnley
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Jaloy_1973 

You can leverage the multi-row formula to look up and down rows. In this case, I'm using it to tag rows that are either less than 50%, or it's the first row where the previous row is <=50 and the value is >=50, so it'll also take that row.

image.png

caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Wait... why would you take 50.58%? Isn't that above 50% already?

Calvin Tang
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/
Jaloy_1973
7 - Meteor

Thanks a lot James.

It works!!!!

Best,

Jordi

Jaloy_1973
7 - Meteor

Because my minimum sample size must be minumum 50% of total population.

50.58% is slightly over, but 48.75% is below and does not meet the criterion.

Thanks,

Jordi

caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Okay - I get you.

You can try this as well:

image.png

The concept retains your filter, but adds one more row - the next row immediately after and nearest to your max closest of <=50%. Hope this helps @Jaloy_1973 !

Calvin Tang
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/
geraldo
13 - Pulsar

@Jaloy_1973 

In the filer tool I would put the Floor() function

floor.JPG

Jaloy_1973
7 - Meteor

Thanks Geraldo for the idea.

Jaloy_1973