Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Help a new guy figure out his first macro

jmcconnell
6 - Meteoroid

I have what I hope is a simple question.  I'm trying to setup some macros in a workflow that will just run in successive order, so run the first macro, then run the second and so on.  Simple enough but one of my macros ends on a Google BigQuery Output tool, and there's no "output" from that so I don't have a way to add a Macro Output tool to the end.  And since it has no output then it can't connect to the next macro in the line.  Any suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4
FinnCharlton
13 - Pulsar

Hi @jmcconnell,

What data are you hoping to pass onto the next macro? If you are also trying to pass the data going into the Google BQ output onto the next macro, you can connect the macro output to the output anchor of the Select tool. That way, the data coming out of the Select tool will be output to BigQuery AND passed onto the next macro. 

Hope this helps!

jmcconnell
6 - Meteoroid

I'm not trying to pass anything from the BigQuery output, BUT I can't run the next step in my process until that BigQuery output step is complete.

FinnCharlton
13 - Pulsar

@jmcconnell 

In that case, how about using the Block Until Done tool? Add the Google Big Query Output macro to the '1' anchor, and your next step to the '2' anchor. This will ensure your data is passed to your BigQuery macro before the workflow continues to run. Here's an example:

FinnCharlton_0-1683125619715.png

Have a read about the Block Until Done tool here: https://help.alteryx.com/20223/designer/block-until-done-tool

jmcconnell
6 - Meteoroid

This absolutely solves my issue of sequence, now I'm just having a problem with one of the macros I'll try to figure out in a new post (if necessary).  Thanks so much.

Labels