Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Group in Alteryx - bring down the previous value untill it finds another value

Cesc
8 - Asteroid

Hi, I have a document with the financial statements of a company. I am attaching an example of it without confidential data.

I have the column A, that i need to drop down.

Explaining myself better. In the A2, C2, D2 and E2, there is the "title" of the row. And we need to copy the number for all the following rows untill we find the number 2 in A12.

From this:

Cesc_0-1649768340840.png

To this:

Cesc_1-1649768676038.png

Any tips?

Thank you so much!!!

4 REPLIES 4
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @Cesc 

You would use the multi-row formula tool. Check out the solution to this post:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Multi-Row-Formula-Tool-Multiple-Column...

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Cesc ,

The quick cure to this is the MULTI-ROW formula

IIF(IsEmpty([Field1]),[Row-1:Field1],[Field1])

If the current row value for "Field1" is empty, then take the value above it.  Otherwise, take the given current value for "Field1".   The trouble is that you need to repeat this for each field that you have in your data that you want to process.

I create and share macros that solve problems that are "generic" in nature and should be solved easily for users.  I'll see where I have time to play with this as a "BATCH" macro.  The user would identify the desired fields that they would like to COPY DOWN from and then update their incoming data.  Thanks for the idea.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@Cesc as suggested by @Luke_C and @MarqueeCrew this can be achieved with the help of Multi-Row tool

binuacs_0-1649769823796.png

Cesc
8 - Asteroid

@MarqueeCrew Thank you very much. Your explanation was very clear and we were able to achieve our goal in less than 30 minutes. Appreciate all your help, @binuacs @MarqueeCrew @Luke_C 

Labels