Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Group Columns by Value

mattcoleman
8 - Asteroid

I have a column with a bunch of different locations and other data about that location. I want to separate out the locations into groups so I can perform aggregations by location, but there are over 50 of them and I don't want to use 50 filters to separate them out. The output should be a bunch of different groups by location with the additional data available. Should be pretty easy, I just can't think of the tool to use (join, summarize).

4 REPLIES 4
T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

The easiest way that comes to mind is a batch macro.  Group the data by location, then run each location as a separate batch.

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@mattcoleman 
I am not sure that kindly format you are looking at for the "Output" , to each file?

We can use the option in the Output tool to have unique path for each locations

attached is a simple sample.

0205-mattcoleman-A.PNG0205-mattcoleman-B.PNG

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @mattcoleman 

You have two very different solutions proposed here and one or both of them could work, depending on the type of aggregation that you want to do.  @Qiu's solution is just about as simple as possible, using the grouping functionality of the Output tool.  On the other end of the complexity scale is @T_Willins' batch macro solution.  Either technique can be appropriate, depending on your needs.   Can you provide a simple input file with a few locations and a corresponding output file?

Dan

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@danilang 
Thnak you for the comment, make it much clear😁

Labels