Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

GoogleDrive Input + csv file issues - "<name>.csv is not a valid csv file" and lost column

Carolyn
9 - Comet

I'm trying to use GDrive Input to import a .csv file into my Designer workflow. I worked with Alteryx support yesterday to get the GDrive connected and I don't have issues with .xlsx files (e.g. let's tentatively assume it's not the GDrive connection that's my problem). 

When I tried to import a 1.5M line .csv file, I get the message "'<filename>.csv' is not a valid csv file." The same file imports fine with the regular Input connector. Within the .csv file, 99% of the lines contain a comma within the data. When I open the file as .txt, I see quotation marks around the data. 

I'm concerned that it's the comma within the quotation marks that is the problem. As a test, I made a .csv file with 5 columns, 1 with a comma within the data: 

2023-01-05 11_36_25-GDrive Input Test.csv - Notepad.png

When I use the regular Input Tool, I see my 5 columns of data: 

Carolyn_0-1672947446208.png

When I use the GDrive Input Tool, I only see the 1st column header with the 5th column's data

Carolyn_1-1672947488083.png

This is the Tool Configuration. I've tried Quote Character = None, Single, and Double - I get the same result each time. 

Carolyn_2-1672947577297.png

Does anyone have any ideas for what I'm doing wrong or how to fix this? Since the data is above Excel's limit, "open in Excel and remove the commas" won't work. I could in theory remove the commas within Notepad, but I'm not sure how to do that without losing all the commas and since it's basically every line with this problem, I obviously don't want to do it manually. I'm going to run into this with dozens of .csv files per week. The goal of this is for non-technical users to be able to run this workflow so I'm trying to avoid "open in Notepad and ...." as part of the instructions. 

GDrive Input Tool version 1.1.1

0 REPLIES 0
Labels