Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Google Analytics Connector Dimension and/or Metric Filtering

cmarchese
7 - Meteor

Hi All, 

I've been going crazy trying to figure out how I can place filters on either a metric or dimension within the Google Analytics connector itself so when the API call is made to google analytics, it will only return what is specified in the request.

For example, I'm pulling Sessions by LandingPagePath by Date for a client. The connector outputs about 2500 different landing pages per day from this request. Doing this for months or years worth of data takes forever (even after creating this into an iterative macro) so how could I set the GA connector to pull either only landing pages where sessions > 1, or exclude 'checkout' landing pages?

I did find some documentation HERE that shows filters for dimensions and metrics but cant seem to get those to work. Returns an error saying "invalid dimension/metric" (ie.. ga:sessions>1 OR ga:landingPagePath!=checkout).

I'd rather not have to pull all data and filter after the connector, rather just filter within the API call. Has anyone been able to crack this?

4 REPLIES 4
lmoore
5 - Atom

+1, would use the HECK out of this functionality if it were available. 

cmarchese
7 - Meteor

UPDATE: 

So In looking into GA API documentation all it takes to add a dimension or metric filter is to add a new line in the API call called 'filters'...

ie.

&dimensions=ga:landingPagePath
&metrics=ga:sessions
&filters=ga:sessions>=1

Documentation on Filtering HERE

Who woulda thought?.... BUT when I made changes to the GA connector I completely messed up the user interface. Anyone have any idea how to change it back? 

cmarchese
7 - Meteor

UPDATE #2

Instead of messing around with the GA connector it was easier for me to create a segment within the client's Google Analytics, and then just pull from that segment. Hope this helps others.

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Great solution @cmarchese!

Labels