Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Generate a Random Password Field in Dataset

john_miller9
11 - Bolide

Good morning all,

I'm looking to add a field in my dataset that generates a random password of 16 characters in length. The field needs to contain at least one of the following:

• lowercase letter
  • uppercase letter
  • number (0-9)
  • special character (!@#$%^&*)

Tried searching the community and didn't see anything relevant.  Does anyone have an idea for a way to accomplish this for 15k records?

8 REPLIES 8
IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @john_miller9,

Does every password need to be unique? 

john_miller9
11 - Bolide

Yes, that is part of the challenge!  Looking for each record to have it's unique, random password.

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

What about using `UuidCreate()`?

PhilipMannering_0-1657024473548.png

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

^ Aaaand that doesn't have an uppercase character....

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@john_miller9 I took @PhilipMannering's workflow and put a bit more spice into his formula tool. This workflow creates 15k unique passwords, all of which contain at least 1 uppercase, lowercase, special and number.

They're not equally likely to arise, but hopefully it's good enough for your purposes

OllieClarke_0-1657026254986.png

OllieClarke_1-1657026270813.png

Hope that helps,

Ollie

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@john_miller9 if your list of special characters is smaller, you'll have to change the number highlighted here to the number of special characters you have -1

OllieClarke_0-1657026472123.png

john_miller9
11 - Bolide

Thanks @PhilipMannering and @OllieClarke.  I also was going down the path of UuidCreate() function and adding in a Capital letter and special character.  Appreciate the added randomness of your solution @OllieClarke and will be able to leverage this with some minor modification for my usecase!

Robin_McIntosh
11 - Bolide

Here's an option using an iterative macro and ensures at least one of each criteria is met as well as no duplciated character/digit back to back.  You can control the characters/digits you'd like in the password as well as how long.  Doee not ensure uniqueness but that could be added.

Robin_McIntosh_0-1657108506486.png

Labels