Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Formula and Union Tool Question

jershon26
5 - Atom

Hello - I have a couple of questions related to the formula and union tools.

The logic of this workflow is that I am inputting a system report that I pulled manually, filtering it accordingly, adding new columns to match all of the columns of an existing tracker (via a formula tool), and then combining the new rows from the data set (via the union tool) per the report to the tracker. My two questions are the following:

1. In the formula tool in my workflow, I am trying to add two columns (see "Customer Name" and "HDW Incl. ILP" columns and their respective formulas). With each column, I am attempting to simply pull in data from other existing columns that I reference in their respective formulas, but when I try to use the union tool the output of these columns is showing as 0. Is there an issue with the formula I'm using?

2. When I use the union tool and try to join data sets, there is a large blank space between the two data sets and they don't stack properly. The number of rows that the blank space occupies is equal to the number of rows of the smaller data set that I am trying to stack. Is there a way to address this issue so that the gap is removed and the two data sets stack properly?

Please see my work flow below. Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
rzdodson
12 - Quasar

@jershon26please save your workflow as a packaged workflow (Options > Export Workflow) so we can see what you are working with. Because your workflow is a .yxmd instead of a .yxzp, your workflow is erroring out when others attempt to run it.

jershon26
5 - Atom

I've updated my post and re-attached my workflow. Please let me know if it still isn't working.

rzdodson
12 - Quasar

@jershon26  looks like the workflow is now opening successfully.

After looking at the meta data starting from your last Select tool and the Vigilant Weekly Reporting, there are numerous instances where you are attempting to union multiple Double and String fields together. You'll need to replicate the data types of both tables you are attempting to union. Otherwise, you'll get random nulls or zeroes.

Labels