Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Find the number of ATMs within a 50 km radius of the agencies

Denisa_Grecu
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I have the following situation:

I need to find the number of ATMs within a 50 km radius of the agencies from the attached example file (just a small sample from my original file).

If we assume that we take all ATMs (single withdrawal, withdrawal and deposit, single deposit), we have about 9500 devices.

So if we combine all the possible cases of distances, we have: 90,250,000 lines.  We will limit the combinations to less than 50km, beyond which there is no business sense.

I put a file to with agencies, addresses and geo-location information to give me some hints and maybe a workflow example. Please note that this is the first time I am working on a geo - coding project and I am not sure where to start from.

Please note that my Alteryx interface and access is limited to some tools, therefore I don´t have all geo coding tools available to work with. The available tools that I have:

Spatial tools: 

Denisa_Grecu_0-1683710634656.png

Address tools:

Denisa_Grecu_1-1683711028297.png

Please let me know if my project is achievable within Alteryx.

Looking forward for your answer.

Denisa

5 REPLIES 5
FinnCharlton
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Denisa_Grecu , I assume you also have a dataset detailing the locations of the ATMs? If you do, including the latitude and longitudes, then this is definitely achievable in Alteryx. Your workflow would look something like this:

Input Agency Dataset ->
Create Spatial Object for each Agency from Lat/Lon (Create Points Tool)->
Input ATM Dataset ->
Create Spatial Object for each ATM from Lat/Lon (Create Points Tool)->

Create 50km buffer around each Agency (Buffer tool) ->
Find all the ATMs inside each of these buffers (Spatial Match Tool) ->
Count the matches for each Agency (Summarise Tool)

Hope this helps!

Yoshiro_Fujimori
15 - Aurora

Hi @Denisa_Grecu ,

I would recommend you take these Interactive Lessons: Spatial Analytics, especially Creating Spatial Objects, Constructing Trade Areas, Relating Spatial Objects.

And look at the solutions of this Weekly Challenge Inspire Europe '16 Grand Prix (L2)

As a starting point, one way to create spatial objects of 50 km radius from the locations of your data set is as attached.

Yoshiro_Fujimori_0-1683719725815.png

Formula tool

To create point of the location from [point_geographique] column,

Longitude = ToNumber(GetWord([point_geographique], 1))

Latitude = ToNumber(REGEX_Replace([point_geographique], "([\d\.]+).*", "$1"))

Point = ST_CreatePoint([Longitude],[Latitude])

Trade Area tool

To create spatial object of 50km radius from the above points,

Yoshiro_Fujimori_0-1683719238283.png

Good luck!

RobertOdera
13 - Pulsar

Hi, @Denisa_Grecu 

Kindly consider this as one approach for a starting point - I hope you find it helpful.

Better if we have sample files for your other next steps.

Also helps is you have a geocoder package or TomTom to use Drive Time as well...

RobertOdera_0-1683726781960.png

Fyi - you don't need Km to Miles conversion. Just configure the Trade Area tool per below

RobertOdera_0-1683727288919.png

Denisa_Grecu
8 - Asteroid

Hello.

Thank you guys for all insights. All 3 of you gave me hints that helped me. The most complex solution is the one offered by @FinnCharlton and @RobertOdera, although I need to create additional development.  

Thank you,

Denisa Grecu

RobertOdera
13 - Pulsar

You're most welcome @Denisa_Grecu!

Labels