Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Find and Replace Interface

JoeDiedri
6 - Meteoroid

Hello everyone,

does anyone of you know if it is possible to display the Find and Replace function, which can be opened in Alteryx via CTRL+F, in an interface via the Text Box Tool?

The idea is that I can load the new data via the File Brose Tool and enter new variables in the same interface via the Text Box Tool. In this case, annual figures would have to be updated.

I can do this by opening the programme. Press CTRL+F and enter the corresponding years under Find and Replace.

I would like to do this directly via the interface. Is this possible?

Kind regards

Joe

7 REPLIES 7
caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Why not just use the Find Replace tool...? 

Calvin Tang
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/
JoeDiedri
6 - Meteoroid

The tool is used by people who do not have much experience with Alteryx. That's why I want to make it as easy to use as possible.

The easiest way would be to start the programme as a wizard.

Then the new files can be loaded in the interface in the first step.

In the second step, the variables (in this case years) can be updated.

Then the user only has to click on Finish to get the result.

ed_hayter
12 - Quasar

So you Could attach an interface tool to update a filter tool so that they can select the years in the Alteryx App that they want to view.

image.png

JoeDiedri
6 - Meteoroid

Hello ed,

thanks for your feedback. The way I interpret your workflow, the user can choose the year he wants to look at through the interface.

For me it is like this. We have data in which we have the year 2021 and 2022. The new data will have the data from 2022 and 2023. This means that the years are updated in the data.

The imported data is processed. Among other things, calculations are carried out. (See image). I have hundreds of these types of calculations.

Using the Find and Replace function, I would like to update 2022 to 2023 in the expression fields, for example.

Expression.jpg

caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

You are updating a formula expression because your years are fields... we need more information like that in order to better understand the full context and requirement. 

What I would suggest is to use Dynamic Select and implement @ed_hayter 's interface tool on top of dynamic select. Then, I would transpose the values to make them dynamic, and then cross-tab them to showcase your results.

Right now, if you'd like, you can technically add an interface tool on top of your multi-row tool, but if you forget your inputs or if your input fields change slightly, then you'll often run into errors. So do consider that...

Calvin Tang
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/
JoeDiedri
6 - Meteoroid

Hey caltang,

sorry for the little input.

My thought was. That I can use this function, which I can open in Alteryx via CTRL+F, as an interface. So that I don't have to click into the workflow.

Screenshot 2023-11-10 152501.jpg

ed_hayter
12 - Quasar

Perhaps we could go dynamic rename to a file with the find and replace fields as rows of a table.

image.png

Labels