Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Filter tool cannot be configured

beckytan0306
5 - Atom

Hi friends, 

I am fairly new to Alteryx and hope you can help me with the questions. I am trying to use the filter tool however there is no drop down available to configure it. Screenshot below. I've tried restart the program but it didnt work either. What's the solution to it? 

Thanks, 

B

beckytan0306_0-1625994338811.png

8 REPLIES 8
Elias_Nordlinder
11 - Bolide

Hello @beckytan0306,

Have you tried to run the workflow?
This Error message usually comes up when you have not run a workflow yet

after that you have inserted the tool, because the metadata have not yet populated the Filter Tool.

See this response as well to the same question by MarqueeCrew:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Filter-tool-this-tool-has-not-been-con...

If there still is a problem after you run the workflow, let me know.

//Best Regards
Elias

beckytan0306
5 - Atom

Thanks @Elias_Nordlinder for the response. Yes, the error message persists after running the workflow. I've attached my file here. The goal I want to achieve here is to filter row 2. Thanks!

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

HI @beckytan0306 

Which version of Alteryx are you using?  You also seem to be on a MAC, so how are you running Alteryx?  I'm not really familiar with macOS but your answers may help others figure out what's happening.  What version of macOS? Are you using Parallels? A VM? Are you using an M1? 

Another thing to try?  Add a Text Input tool and fill in a few columns and rows of data.  Add a new filter tool and connect it to the text input.  Can you see the the configuration pane in the filter tool now?  If you can see the config, then it's possibly related to fact that your original Input Data is having issues reading the excel file from your MAC.  Do you get any other error messages when you run the original workflow?

Dan

beckytan0306
5 - Atom

Thanks for the suggestion Dan. Yes i am running Alteryx 2021 on Mac using Parallels. It is Mac Catalina. 

I tried your suggestion adding a text input. But it still doesnt work. Any other ideas? 

Thanks.  

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @beckytan0306 ,

Once you have run the workflow you can now select the field or fields you wish to filter. What is preventing you from selecting values in the dropdowns in the filter tools?

Can you show us the configuration of your filter tool? You have not provided the data, so I can't really show you, but when I open your workflow and configure the filter tools I can configure it without problems:

mceleavey_0-1626001298210.png

M.

M.

Bulien

beckytan0306
5 - Atom

Thanks for the reply. However i can't configure the filter tool which is the problem. I've attached the screenshot earlier. Will attach the screenshot, workflow and data again. Thanks for your help. 

beckytan0306_0-1626001669142.png

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

2021-07-11 (1).png2021-07-11 (2).pngyou need to choose a field to filter....

Your filter is giving you that message because you haven't put anything in it. And the reason why you can't choose any other fields via a data-applicable name is because you need to transform your data from excel multi-line similac data to real data.

Also I see you want to filter "row 2" - you should add a recordid tool and then filter for [recordid]=2 (or just select records and choose 2 - but I tend to recordid everything first.).

cripo7
5 - Atom

You can try placing a select tool after your input data and selecting only a few required columns. It worked for me!

Labels