Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Filter Tool Bug

Joe_McCoy
8 - Asteroid

I have a workflow that runs quarter over quarter comparisons which uses 9 different date filters starting from the constant user date. I have found an issue where the filter tool using >= will skip the first day of a quarter (4/1, 7/1) whereas the <= will not skip the quarter start date. I have attached screen shots of the input and both filters and results. I have also attached this example workflow.

Joe_McCoy_0-1670878357178.png

3 REPLIES 3
PanPP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @Joe_McCoy 

I am able to run your workflow and experience the same issue. 

Can you split up the filter expression and create another date column via a formula tool? (See workflow).

I have attached another method that you can follow for the filter to function properly. 

Hope this helps.

DavidSkaife
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Joe_McCoy 

I feel its a quirk of trying to filter between two different data types, Date and DateTime. For example see below:

DavidSkaife_0-1670880175226.png

Original Field - the DateTime calculation and it's result, note it has the time element included

DateTime field - conversion of CUR QTR CLOSE_DATE to a DateTime format

Less Than and Greater than fields - the original filter test between Original and CUR QTR CLOSE_DATE

Less Than and Greater Than Test 2 fields - the same filter but this time compaing the DateTime field to the Original, note the Greater Than works.

If you convert the CUR QTR CLOSE_DATE to a DateTime type, or, convert the DateTimeAdd calculation to DateTime (using ToDateTime) then it works as expected.

Joe_McCoy
8 - Asteroid

@DavidSkaife 

Thank you for the simple explanation. I am still a little fuzzy on why the <= was working correctly and not the >= but wrapping the month subtraction in a ToDate() solved the issue.

Labels