Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

FYI: Tableau MFA and Publish to Tableau Server Tool

mkosmicki1
8 - Asteroid

I HAVE A TICKET SUBMITTED TO SUPPORT

If you are a Tableau user, you know that Feb 1, 2022 is quickly approaching and MFA will be required for login on that date.

I tested the MFA credential today with the Publish to Tableau Server tool and it failed. At this time the tool it isn't accommodating the MFA login. I have submitted a ticket to support since I didn't find anything when I searched the community. If you have a solution, please share it with the community. 

-Michelle

10 REPLIES 10
ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @mkosmicki1 - Alteryx is aware of Tableau’s decision to require Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA)  for connecting to Tableau Online as of February 1st, and we have made sure to develop a connector which supports this change. After switching to MFA, the Publish To Tableau Server tool will no longer operate because authentication will require the use of a Personal Access Token .

What this means is any workflow utilizing the Publish to Tableau Server connector should be changed to use the new Tableau Output tool before February 1st to avoid any disruptions to business processes: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Public-Community-Gallery/Tableau-Output-Tool/ta-p/877902  

If you have any questions about the new connector, please do not hesitate to reach out to your Alteryx account team.

MinaGO3
8 - Asteroid

Just to follow up, there is a handful of us encountering issues where the new Tableau Output tool is failing authentication on server which succeeds locally (or providing the "you have found a bug please replicate"). We have logged tickets with Alteryx support on this issue already but just posting here for visibility for others with the same issue.

ConnorClark
6 - Meteoroid

Similar to the reply from MinaGO3 raising current issues.

My organisation has been experiencing problems with the credentials being forgotten or the secret changing when the workflow is changed and opened again which we have been informed by support is "expected behaviour".

We are also experiencing massive problems when publishing files with multiple date fields where they are not being recognised and producing errors, as well as the tool causing the workflow to error or in some cases crash designer when trying to upload more than a few 10's of MBs of data. Considering we were able to do GBs with the previous tool this is currently a roadblock that has halted our data production whilst we explore other options outside of Alteryx for refreshing our data.

MinaGO3
8 - Asteroid

@ConnorClark @mkosmicki1 I have uploaded a temporary workaround of the old Publish to Tableau Server tool but updated to use PAT here: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Public-Community-Gallery/PAT-Publish-to-Tableau-Server/ta-p/896683
Use at your own discretion as it is a public gallery tool as opposed to the officially supported one by Alteryx and please post any issues you have using it in the thread if you do decide to use it in the interim.

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@MinaGO3 great minds! I've also made one :) https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Public-Community-Gallery/Publish-to-Tableau-Server-PAT/ta-p/897047 

Mine allows >=2 publish tools using the same PAT, and it happily published >4GB.

edit: It's used the same PAT in the same workflow fine for me, but this could be due to tools running sequentially - further testing is needed

I would also relish feedback if anyone has any.

mkosmicki1
8 - Asteroid

Thank you @OllieClarke@MinaGO3, and @ArtApa. We are testing the new tool and both gallery solutions. 

I'm still a bit stressed about this....but feeling more hopeful about keeping data flowing. 

-Michelle

ConnorClark
6 - Meteoroid

Hi all, I have started using @OllieClarke's tool and I can't find fault with it so far. I have been able to replace the existing Publish To Tableau Server tools 1 for 1 and have not experienced any decrease in capability. Using one tool I have been able to upload ~10GB of data so it is performing over 100x better for us than the Tableau Output. A couple of days ago we were looking at our data pipelines stopping completely and now they will continue with no disruption for our end users. 

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

That's some great work @OllieClarke I'll definitely check this tool.

contoist
5 - Atom

My organization is experiencing the same issue.  We were previously able to output GB of data, now designer crashes or the tool errors.  Have you been able to figure out ways to automate the refreshing of data within or outside of Alteryx?  This is currently a roadblock for us as we were dependent on the old Publish to Tableau Server tool, which worked flawlessly.

Labels