Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Error outputting different data sets into different excel sheets (but one excel file)

mdowd12
5 - Atom

I know this has been asked before but for some reason the solutions have not been working great for me. I have multiple data sets that I am trying to output into Sheet 1/Sheet 2/Sheet 3 of one single excel file (on a company network drive). I am getting the error "Can't open file:  XX_FILE_PATH The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. (32). 

For 1.5 years I never got any errors with these workflows then suddenly almost all of my workflows started getting the same message recently. I tried using a parallel block until done tool, but that does not seem to do anything, and I still get the same error.

I also tried "unioning" all of the data together so I could use the normal "block until done" tool (nested for 6 excel sheets), and the block until done also does not seem to work and I still get the same error.

I am wondering if anyone else has had this same issue where block until done / parallel block until done tools do not work for excel outputs, and if anyone has been able to find a way around this. Or if there is something bugging out on my end. The error happens when running both locally on my desktop and also when run on the gallery. Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@mdowd12 
Thats strange. I have no issue with the "Block Until Done" tool so far.

Is it possile you can replicate the issue with some sample data and share with us?

mdowd12
5 - Atom

What is super frustrating with this error is that I get the error about half the time my workflows run. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it errors out. But yes, please see attached workflow for the original output format, solution #1 and solution #2. One thing to note is that each data set is very different (and some columns change dynamically), so ideally would not have to union the data together like in solution #2. Let me know your thoughts!

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@mdowd12 

Thank you for sharing the flow.

I am wondering if something is wrong with your Alteryx Installation since It reports that "Block Until Done" can not be loaded when I tried to open the flow.

That is only part of the cause.

I can observe the following can be changed to make it work.

1. Configure for Output shall use the Option "Change Entire File Path"
  2. Cleansing can be used to remove the Null Columns for Solution #2, which is more dynamic
  3. In Solution #1, I usually use a "Count Record" tool to control the data flow.

Hope this helps.

0501-mdowd12-A.png0501-mdowd12-B.png0501-mdowd12-C.png

mdowd12
5 - Atom

Thank you so much for your help! Unfortunately, I still am getting errors on some of times when I run one of the solutions. For example, I only will have solution #2 active, of the 5 times I tested it, the workflow failed 1 time giving me the same error. It's so frustrating that is does this! I'm not sure if this means anything, but it looks like my company has us on Version: 2021.4.2.05617. 

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@mdowd12 
Thank you for the follow-up.
This is also I have suspected, the Block Until Done in your flow was not able to be loaded in my alteryx, which is a more recent version.
Any possibility to upgrade?

mdowd12
5 - Atom

Solution #1 was a "parallel block until done" macro that I've noticed can be funky when loaded - but did the regular block until done tools in Solution #2 show up/work for you? I don't think I am able to upgrade to a newer version until my company pushes the updates through our software application system :(

Labels