Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Embedded new lines

Nithinpanicker
8 - Asteroid

Hi everyone,

I have a cell which contains embedded new lines. This cell basically has a summary of all work that has been done on a ticket. This may include communication through chat, emails and updates pertaining to the ticket. This information is extracted from SNOW as a csv file which serves as the input for Alteryx. I need to use these cells from the column to look for certain keywords and phrases for analysis in Alteryx. But when I am outputting the information only the first line is being extracted. How do I make the whole data appear in every cell. 

Thanks and regards,

Nithin

28 REPLIES 28
ShankerV
17 - Castor

Hi @Nithinpanicker 

I am assuming and if I understand your question correctly, here is the output you are looking for.

ShankerV_0-1676280270480.png

If you have more questions, please feel to ask.

Also share the sample input and sample output which will be easy.

Many thanks

Shanker V

Nithinpanicker
8 - Asteroid

Please refer the screenshot below.

As you can see the comments and work notes column is what I am referring to. While inputting this document, I am only getting a partial output of this column. From the box marked in red, you can get an idea about how much information is there in this cell. How do I input this cell in Alteryx without loosing all the data contained in the cell.

ShankerV
17 - Castor

Hi @Nithinpanicker 

Please be informed that, no data's will be missed when you are reading the input from the Excel sheet.

It will read the complete data.

While you are seeing the output in the Result tab. We might see only partial information leading to assumption that it is not read fully.

ShankerV_0-1676281287974.png

Please use the browse tool to see the full result.

ShankerV_1-1676281322036.png

Many thanks

Shanker V

Nithinpanicker
8 - Asteroid

Hi @ShankerV 

Thank you for your reply. Yes I am aware that the results tab only show partial data. The issue is even after outputting this file to xlsx file, it is showing me the same partial data. Is there some setting limiting to the data length or data cleansing step that I am missing?

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@Nithinpanicker When you input the .csv file what delimiter are you using to parse the file? Can you share your input tool configuration?

ShankerV
17 - Castor

Hi @Nithinpanicker 

Please share the mocked data of the data present in Comments column and until what data it is reading partially.

It might be due to the input delimiter's you have used while input.

The default delimiter to read .csv files will be ,

So the comments column might contain ,  which is causing the issue.

Please check. 

ShankerV_0-1676282174067.png

Many thanks

Shanker

Nithinpanicker
8 - Asteroid

@binuacs @ShankerV @Christina_H 

I am using default settings. Please refer to the screenshot below. The csv file is in a zip format. I am using dynamic input tool to find the zip file with today's date. Sharing you the config of the dynamic input tool's template.

What should I set the field length to?

Christina_H
14 - Magnetar

If you're importing a CSV, there's a limit on field length.  You can increase it though

Christina_H_0-1676282268704.png

Christina_H
14 - Magnetar

@Nithinpanicker What length is your text?  Set it as high as you need.  I don't know if there's an upper limit, I've used 50000 recently to make sure I was getting everything.

Labels