Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Email tool sending multiple tabs in one report

czjames87
8 - Asteroid

Good morning,

I am currently working on an automated report as a csv file. However, I need it split into two tabs in one report. Is that possible and if so whats the best way to make it happen?

6 REPLIES 6
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @czjames87 

- Are you looking to send two csv files, or combine those two csv tables into one Excel file with two sheets? Multiple attachments can be made to an email.

- Are you having trouble preparing the data/file(s) or the email?

czjames87
8 - Asteroid

I'm looking to combine two csv tables into one excel file with two sheets. Currently the email is being generated with the attachment has all the data on one sheet instead of being separated into two. 

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Thanks for that clarification. Here's how I would go about this:

- Create the tables and assign a sheet name to each. Layout these so the sheet name field will be used later.

- Append a file name to these layouts.(using "%temp%" is handy here)

- Block Until Done

- First out of the BUD: use a Render tool to generate the Excel file with the sheets at the file path as specified.

- Lastly out of the BUD: set an email tool to attach the file from the same path and compose the email as you would like. I use a Summarize tool to make sure there's only one record set (the email tool sends an email for each record it receives).

In the attached workflow, I was able to successfully send myself an email with an Excel file attached which included two named sheets of data. Check the attached workflow out and let me know if you have any questions.

czjames87
8 - Asteroid

I added what you suggested but still no luck in getting it to split into two sheets. Below is what I currently have. 

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Keep in mind that without access to the same databases/data, I am unable to run the workflow to see what's going on.

The best way to share workflows on Community is to use sample/dummy data in Text Input tools so anyone can open the workflow and run it. If data privacy is not a concern, you could run the query and save the first 10 or so records in a Text Input to replace each query input. 

deepaprash
8 - Asteroid

This was perfect! Thank you!

Labels