Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Email Tool Error

rromeo
7 - Meteor

I have a list of rows that need to generate emails.

When sending the list into an email tool, if any of the addresses cause a failure, processing of the remainder of the list stops and I have no way to definitively determine which email caused the problem or how many rows remain in the list that did not get emails sent.

I tried autonumbering each record, creating a batch macro to perform the email task, and using the autonumbered field to be the control parameter, so each record is sent to the email tool individually.  The idea was that I could write to an output with each pass, and keep track of which emails processed before failure. Instead, the one bad test email fails, and the remainder of the list is processed.

Small improvement, but I still have no way of determining what email address failed.

There is no output anchor on the email tool, so I'm not sure what I can do to capture "THIS IS THE RECORD THAT FAILED" when writing to my output.  Any suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@rromeo would you be able to identify those bad emails before sending the records to the email tool based on the domain address?

Yoshiro_Fujimori
15 - Aurora

@rromeo ,

The pass/fail of email address is determined on SMTP server (after the mail data is passed from Alteryx to SMTP server).

So it would be difficult to know the result beforehand on Alteryx, unless you get some feedback from SMTP server.

If your Alteryx environment has access to SMTP server log, you may be able to locate the events of address errors.

And then it may be possible to connect the event data with the original email.

Just an idea, but I hope this might be of some help.

Good luck.

rromeo
7 - Meteor

There is code that is designed to do just that, but I'm told that some issues are still making it thru that check.

rromeo
7 - Meteor

I have a batch macro doing the actual emailing.

The messages I get back from that tool.

In that macro, I write to a log and  I send the email.

1 row at a time.

The run log shows a message each time a line is written to the log, but in between all those messages, there is the message 

"Record #1 failed to send to one or more recipients."

So Alteryx does know it failed while it is still running. I just can't figure out how to capture that error at run time.

The attached log is from a test workflow I have where I have a list of 7 emails and the 5th one is intentionally bad.

Labels