Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic replace tool fails to use a new field in another new field later on

MingChen
5 - Atom

I used a dynamic formula tool to adding the following new fields:

MingChen_1-1684774552852.png

But I got an error from the dynamic formula tool: "The field "A" is missing. Compare the tool configuration with the input stream." I wonder if there is a way to make it work like the ordinary formula tool where you can use a new field in another new field later on?

I'm using Alteryx Designer Desktop 2022.1

3 REPLIES 3
SPetrie
12 - Quasar

Do you mean the Dynamic Rename tool?

I cant update to 2023.1 yet so Im not sure of any new tools, but the setup you are showing looks like what is required for the Dynamic Rename to add formulas.

I tried looking at the tool list for 2023.1 and didnt see a Dynamic Formula tool either.

You wont be able to have a Dynamic Rename add new fields since it expects the field to already exist to be able to act upon it. 

If you know the fields you want to add before hand, you can use a formula tool to create them and set them to null() before being passed into the Dynamic Rename.

If there is a new Dynamic Formula tool in 2023.1, Ill let someone else tackle this.

MingChen
5 - Atom

Sorry I was wrong, it's called Dynamic replace tool. And I'm using 2022.1 version of Alteryx Designer.

SPetrie
12 - Quasar

Looks like I made a mistake as well and wrote Dynamic Rename instead of Dynamic Replace (although I was thinking of the Dynamic Replace the whole time). My bad :)

I think the formula tool before the Dynamic Replace is your best bet then. You can use a Text Input tool with only column headers and a union tool to create the columns before hand as well,but the formula tool will let you set data types where the Text Input method doesn't.

It expects the columns to already exist so unfortunately have have to have them at least exist in the data stream before it gets to the tool.

Labels