Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic rename in Table Tool for headers

EVH
6 - Meteoroid

Hello everyone!

I've been searching for a way to dynamically rename headers within the Table tool and coming up short. I found a couple of potential solutions, but I wonder if we have anything better at this point (one is from 2019). What I am trying to do is append a date based on a formula to multiple column headers.

I know we could use a Dynamic Rename tool to change the name of the header prior to entering the workflow, but since I'm using a date, the header name would be different every time it hits the Table tool which will put that field at the end of the output vs. the position I want it in. If it's just one field, there's a great suggestion in the article here where you put the "dynamic or unknown" field in the position you want it to appear. Very nice! 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Table-tool-reporting-Dynamically-Renam...

We could also use two tables, ignore headers in one, merge, layout and go on our merry way. This looks like the solution I'd need to go with as I have multiple fields on the sheet that need to be updated. This discussion below is from 2019 and provides this solution. It's a great and creative idea and I really appreciate the solution provided, but I wonder if Alteryx might have added some additional flexibility to that tool that wasn't available in 2019? 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Rename-Columns-in-Table-Tool/td-p/4561...

Has anyone uncovered a way to dynamically rename headers within the Table Tool?

4 REPLIES 4
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@EVH Interesting! Maybe something like this would work. 

patrick_digan_0-1657304949383.png

I'm using a find replace tool to find the old header names and appending the date to them.

Before Find Replace:

patrick_digan_1-1657305014309.png

After Find Replace:

patrick_digan_2-1657305053051.png

EVH
6 - Meteoroid

@patrick_digan this is an AWESOME approach and a brilliant use of the Find Replace and Field Info tools! I didn't think Find Replace could be used that way on a table. Thank you!

There's one thing I would add and that is in the formula for my specific case. If you use an "if/then" you can target the specific fields you want to hit with an update while leaving the other fields alone. I've got that attached in case someone is searching for a solution along those lines.

It seems like we should be able to do that right in the Table tool. Maybe that will be available in a future update...who knows? 😀 

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@patrick_digan - every day is a school day!!!

I would never have thought that you can use Find Replace with something like a Reporting Table object.

This is awesome!!!

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@DavidP You bet! You can actually use a formula tool as well, but the only annoying part there is you have to "convert" the field back to a reporting element. I've used that trick on a couple occasions. You can actually modify the pcxml/html which is cool.

patrick_digan_0-1657716235199.png

patrick_digan_1-1657716252547.png

patrick_digan_2-1657716272203.png

patrick_digan_3-1657716367348.png

Labels