Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Dynamic input Tool in Workflow

synergy825
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I have attached a workflow where I'm trying to utilize the Dynamic Input tool.  Have not used this tool before, but trying to incorporate it.  Basically, I have a directory of .gz files where I'm trying to read.  For the dynamic input tool, I understand you have to select a file to act as a template.  However, when I run the workflow, it's only reading that particular file I selected and not all the rest of the files in the directory.  What am I doing wrong?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@synergy825 

Your workflow appears to be workin on my end.
Since there is only one .gz file in your package so I made a copy of it. and the number of record being brought in seems to be correct.
Do you see any error when you run the flow?

Or can you check the Results window when you run the flow, you should be able to see how many .gz files are being read in.

0711-synergy825.PNG0711-synergy825A.PNG

synergy825
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Qiu,

Thanks for the response.  When I run the flow, it says it reads 370 files in the folder.  It has a file for each day starting from 7-2-22 to 7-8-22, all with the same file extension.  However, it's only showing the 7-2-22 file in the results.  I'm thinking I set the dynamic input incorrectly?

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@synergy825 
I dont see something wrong with the flow you have shared since it is working after I modified the file path for input.

Is there a posibility that the your input files are having different data schema?

synergy825
8 - Asteroid

Possibly.  I'm investigating.  Thanks for the input!

sparksun
11 - Bolide

The result window only shows part of data, if you want to see all the data in the result window, you need to add a Browse tool behind Dynamic Input.Possibly it is the reason.

synergy825
8 - Asteroid

I was able to figure it out.  I had to change the setting in action to "Change Entire File Path".  Thanks though for the input.  Much appreciated.

Misty_Walton
5 - Atom

I was having a similar issue with my workflow, and after your suggestion to change the action to "Change Entire File Path" it worked for me as well.  Thanks for this comment!

Labels