Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Dynamic Sorting of Multiple Fields

DataPirate26
10 - Fireball

Hi all, 

I need to sort the Given Input Data for the "Nos of exceptions" all the fields. So basically the April Months Data shall come up first with no null rows in it. Then The May and June month Data will get appended and so on for all months ( As Provided in the Desired Output Data). As of now the data for all months comes up in a random order but I need to sort the order

Also If the Same Names or EMP ID comes for Multiple months only then then only it will be in the same row for all those months ( As shown in the Desired Output Data ( Check row 1, 11 and 12). 

27 REPLIES 27
DataPirate26
10 - Fireball

The Data and the Coloring is fine but again if you see the sorting is not as of the desired output. The data for the months needs to be appended as shown below in the output. Only if an individual has exceptions for 2 months or 3 months that shall come up in the same row. 

Note: The data for April shall come together then after that the data for May shall start and then June and so on. Your output is completely OK but that dynamic sorting of the data month wise is the main challenge. Also the field names for the Months should be as shown in the output and they shall come up dynamically. 

DataPirate26
10 - Fireball

@jdminton Can this dynamic sorting be done with this data ? I am able to achieve the same output as well but I am not able to sort the data month wise one after the other and that is the main challenge. 

jdminton
12 - Quasar

@DataPirate26 Can you explain what you mean? The workflow I provided sorts the columns by month currently. Maybe an image of your issue?

As a side note, the user community is here to help. I've given you a way to get the data out and formatted. A little effort on your part to try sorting or whatever else you are needing should occur before asking for it to be fixed. 

DataPirate26
10 - Fireball

@jdminton Please see the below attached screenshot for better understanding. 

1. The Field names shall come as "Nos of Exceptions - April 2023", "Nos of Exceptions - May 2023" and so on 
  2. See how each months data are grouped one after the other. Need to sort it in the same way but when again in future the other months data will come it shall follow the same pattern so it need to be dynamic
jdminton
12 - Quasar

It is set up to be dynamic for future months. The new column is driven by formulas. 

DataPirate26
10 - Fireball

@jdminton The data is completely fine the months are coming up dynamically I understand that. But the sorting is not according to the desired format. If you sort by the months then the data will be coming exactly how it is shown in the Output but the challenge is that the months will be changing in future so the sort tool will throw an error when new data will come up in future. Is there a way to handle that ? 

jdminton
12 - Quasar

@DataPirate26  I see what you are saying. For that type of sort, I needed to create a formula to create an order for all the included months.

DataPirate26
10 - Fireball

@jdminton Thank you for all your help on this. I guess the required format won't be possible to achieve with this data. We tried a lot on this but I haven't been able to figure out a solution to this. In case you have one you can let me know. 

jdminton
12 - Quasar

@DataPirate26 Can you tell me what about the latest workflow is not meeting your requirements? We were able to dynamically add fields, format the cells dynamically, and sort dynamically for those with amounts in more than one month. I'm a little perplexed why you are saying that we haven't gotten a solution.

DataPirate26
10 - Fireball

@jdminton Can you please check the below attached Output for Reference on how the data needs to be shown in the Output.  

1. The Field names shall come as "Nos of Exceptions - April 2023", "Nos of Exceptions - May 2023" and so on
  2. See how each months data are grouped one after the other. Need to sort it in the same way but when again in future the other months data will come it shall follow the same pattern so it need to be dynamic. 
Labels