Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic Select in Conjunction with Macro

TomBock
8 - Asteroid

Hello:

I'd like to get some assistance with improving a *sample* process including a DYNAMIC SELECT.

Here's what I currently have:

- TEXT INPUT tool containing six fields

- Each of the fields include prefixes such as {FF, LK, Other}

- Now, for the 2 prefixes = {FF, LK) I have added a DYNAMIC SELECT each... followed by an OUTPUT (into the same MDB database).

Current Process:

- Upon executing the workflow, 2 tables (one for FF fields and another one for the LK fields) are added to the MDB database.

- Given that I do NOT have another 3rd DYNAMIC SELECT, the field [Other_Something] does not get output at all (as expected).

My question:

- I may have additional prefixes beyond "FF, LK, Other", so I do NOT want to add a DYNAMIC SELECT for each of the field prefixes.

- How should the workflow be modified so that all fields (including those that may contain a 4th or 5th prefix) are added into their respective tables?   Maybe via a macro?

Thank you,

Tom

DynamicOutput.JPG

6 REPLIES 6
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @TomBock 

I think you're right about requiring a Macro.  I can't see any other way to do this.

danilang_0-1687278443176.png

The main workflow uses a Field Info tool to extract the column, extracts the prefix for each column and summarizes the prefixes to pass to the Control parameter of the batch macro.

danilang_1-1687278575914.png

The batch macro uses the prefix in the control parameter to modify the Dynamic Select formula and also the Table name in the Output Data tool.

Dan

TomBock
8 - Asteroid

@danilang -- hi -- thank you for the assistance.   This solution looks very promising.

I re-created your main workflow (see attached) but ended up getting an error on the batch macro.   See attached JPG.

What am I missing wrt the config of the control parameter (5)... where I chose "NAME"?

Error.JPG

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@danilang excellent solution as usual!!

@TomBock No update is required to the group by tab, update the questions tab and select the Name field

binuacs_0-1687296156231.png

TomBock
8 - Asteroid

@danilang , @binuacs :

thank you for the continued support... I appreciate it.

Allow me to recap:

- The macro now executes w/o any errors.

- For testing purposes only, I added another field (e.g., "Test_XYZ") into the TEXT INPUT tool and a 4th table "Test_Table" is added to the MDB file... GREAT!!

However, in the MDB output, all tables (whether FF_Table OR LK_Table OR Other_Table OR Test_Table) contain only the same 2 fields: [LK_LASTNAME, LK_GENDER].  See attached JPG.

How would the macro have to be modified so that the respective fields (e.g., FF_CASE_NUMBER, FF_AGE, FF_Summary) would be automatically added into table [ FF_Table]?  Sample applies for all remaining fields where field prefix indicates into which table the fields need to be inserted.

Thank you,

Tom

FieldOutput.JPG

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @TomBock 

Sorry.  There was a typo in the replace string for the Dynamic Select in that it included an extra space.  It's fixed in this version

Dan

TomBock
8 - Asteroid

@danilang -- PERFECT!!!!   Your solution works 100% as envisioned.   Many thanks!

@binuacs -- thank you for the comment earlier... it helped me w/ the error issue (macro wasn't executing).

Labels