Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic Output Template

Mateusz_Pietrzak
6 - Meteoroid

Hi All,

Could you please let me know, if there is a solution for my problem/project?

I am building a tool which will combine 4 raport for one entity into one excel file, I will need to combine approximately reports for 100 entity.

I was asked to provide the output file with a template - basically I need to add 4 additional sheets into existing file/template.

The tricky part for me is that the file name will be represent by the entity ID, which means I will need to take a output template add new sheets and save a file with a proper name in one run for 100 entities.

Is it possible to use the Alteryx magic to achieve this? 

Thank you in advance for your support

4 REPLIES 4
markcurry
12 - Quasar

Hi @Mateusz_Pietrzak , yes this is possible.   You can use the Run command tool to create an run a batch file to copy an Output Template to the name of the 100 entities, then use your workflow to update the template.  It works nice because you can format the Excel templates to have the nice formatting on the header row, freeze pains filters, etc.  In an example I use, I put the Totals row in column 2, and use the Excel sum formula, to sum everything from row 3 downwards.  I'll dig out an example.

markcurry
12 - Quasar

Hi @Mateusz_Pietrzak ,

See the attached example.   If you create a folder C:\Temp\Dynamic Output\ and save the workflow and the sample template to that, it should work.  The update for whatever folder path, template you have.   When you run the workflow, it will create a copy_template.bat batch file which will copy the template to the output files.  If you've any issues, run the .bat on it's own to see if there's any errors within that.  I hope that helps and is what you're after  ...

Mateusz_Pietrzak
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @markcurry 

Thank you!
I used your advice and I have solved the issue with a run command tool. My project was simpler then I thought and it was enough just to get the file names, put them into script, update the file name and copy files with a run command. 

markcurry
12 - Quasar

@Mateusz_Pietrzak you're welcome!  Glad it helped.

Labels