Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic Join tool

kaneb3
6 - Meteoroid

Hi there -

I have 2 data sets whereby the the columns in the data sets are selected at run time using a list box tool.

I want to then join these two data sets after the user has selected the columns. the columns in each data set will have the same name,

Is there a way to have the join tool join on the columns that the user has selected, rather than needing to predefine the matching criteria?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
FinnCharlton
13 - Pulsar

Hi @kaneb3 , you can look into changing the XML of the Join tool using the action tool with the 'Update Raw XML with formula' option. However I've gone about it a different way using Dynamic Rename tools:

Screenshot 2023-08-21 171624.png

• The user uses the Drop Down to choose the field they want to join on
  • This chosen field is dynamically renamed to [Join] before the Join tool, which Joins the two tables on the chosen field.
  • The chosen field is then dynamically renamed back to it's original name

Hope this helps!

Prometheus
12 - Quasar

You can add a Drop Down interface tool for each side of the join. It's not dynamic because if you want to join on more than one field, you'd have to add another Drop Down tool for each side of the join.

Select Fields for Join.PNG

kaneb3
6 - Meteoroid

thanks for your help guys :)

achinnve
5 - Atom

Hi Finn can you please share workflow which you tried to make dynamic join.

Thanks

Labels