Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic Input Tool Help

DavidKennedy
7 - Meteor

I think I'm using the Dynamic Input Tool incorrectly or it can't do what I'm trying to use it for.

I receive an updated Excel file each week with data from the previous week.  The spreadsheet has 46 different worksheets that each contain data for each of our plants and each one has to be processed by the workflow in order to reconfigure the schema into something that can be used downstream.  I thought I had the solution in using the Dynamic Input Tool to ingest the data from each worksheet individually but it doesn't seem to be pulling the data from the correct file.

Here's what I've got:

1. My input is set to just pull in a list of the sheet names from the most current week's file (let's call it List10-27-2022).

2. I've set the Dynamic Input Tool to use a template from a previous week's file (let's call this one List09-23-2022).  All the sheets, in each file, have the same schema.

3. I then have a Filter tool to indicate which sheet name I want to pull data from at that particular time.  I'll build this into a macro later that will handle all 46 at the same time.

What I've found is that regardless of what file I have listed as the input, the workflow is pulling the data from from the correct sheet name but not from the input file I've configured.  In other words, instead of pulling data from sheet "101" in the "List10-27-2022" file its pulling data from sheet "101" in the "List09-23-2022" file.  I need it to always be pulling the data from file I have listed as the input file because it is the one that will have the most current data.  Unfortunately, I don't have the option to have the data provider just add it to the same existing Excel file.

I've included an abbreviated version of my workflow that shows the steps from input to the Dynamic Input Tool.  Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

David

1 REPLY 1
AndrewSu
Alteryx
Alteryx

@DavidKennedy ,  use the same file in the "template" of the dynamic input as the file you're inputting in the first "Input" data.  I think you're issue is that you're using the last weeks file instead of the current week. 

The template's behavior for the tool depends on the option you select for the "Action": selecting "Change File/Table Name" requires the same input, while something like "Change Entire File Path" truly functions more like a "template".

If this resolves your issue, please mark this post as the solution so that other's in the community can benefit from our collaboration. 

Thanks!

Labels