Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic Input Same Tab From Multiple Files

JeremyN
8 - Asteroid

I'd like to input the same tab from multiple files.  Seems like I should be able to use the directory tool with full path, add a tab name, then send to the dynamic input too, but I can't seem to figure out the format for specifying the tab name.  Has anyone done this?

7 REPLIES 7
T_Willins
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi @JeremyN,

If the sheets are all in the same format, it can be done with a single input tool.  Change part of the filepath to a wildcard while leaving the Table or Query name to the correct sheet.  You can turn on Output File Name as a field if you need to differentiate between the files.

Imput multiple files same sheet.png

JeremyN
8 - Asteroid

Thanks!  Actually looks like one field is getting pulled in as a different data type, so unfortunately that won't work in this situation.

AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @JeremyN, could you give the attached solution a try to bring in all files into Alteryx? The Directory tool reads the file path, which gets passed to first macro that fetches individual excel tab names, which in-turn is passed through the second macro to read-in the data. This approach works any time your data structure changes from file-to-file.  

JeremyN
8 - Asteroid

The top workflow works for me with a couple of tweaks (I'm using an xlsm file instead of xlsx), so I modified the first filter.  Also, I added a filter after the Sheet Names macro to only pick up the sheet I'm interested in.  Thanks!

sabidor829
7 - Meteor

Hi @AbhilashR,

Would you be able to attach your dummfile.xlsx into this discussion. I am trying to create my own macro for my workflow but I want to see what's exactly in that file. 

Thanks,

Stephen

AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @sabidor829, you can use any existing .xlsx file in place of the dummy file my solution refers to. I used the dummy one just to avoid the error msg the Input tool gives if you don't set it up the right way.

sabidor829
7 - Meteor

Oh I see. I can use any blank excel sheet and the dynamic input will work. Thanks @AbhilashR !

Labels