Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic Filter with List Box

SeidlaSiggi
6 - Meteoroid

Dear all,

I have a simple task to do: For a filter tool, I want users to be able to choose their own filters in one column. I try to accomplish that with a List box tool (as there might be more than one value which have to be chosen). I implemented the list box and action tool (see workflow attached) according to many other descriptions which can be found in the community, but none is working for me.

Can you please tell me, what did I wrong and how can I fix the workflow such that it's working properly? I guess it's just a small thing to adapt.

Thanks and kind regards,

Yannik 

9 REPLIES 9
ed_hayter
12 - Quasar

Made a few changes to the App - In the filter tool i set the default to abc. In the custom list generation I stopped it wrapping the list in quotes. Then in the update action I replaced abc

listbox_filter1.pngListbox filter 2 image.png

SeidlaSiggi
6 - Meteoroid

Hi ed_hayter,

thanks a lot for your quick response. 

First of all, your solution works in general and this is great. 

But: I tried to adapt your solution to my main workflow and main dataset (cannot be shared unfortunately) and it did not work even though I considered every single change you made to my initial example workflow. 

When I opened your workflow there was a warning that the user (you) used a more updated version of Alteryx. So I used your file as a basis and imported my main dataset there and now it works, too! Can there be some problems with the versions that this type of app was not possible to generate in the 2020-software? 

Thanks a lot anyway!

sparksun
11 - Bolide

What do you mean the app doesn't work?

If it works for your sample data but not for your real data, possibly you should check what's the difference between them first and make some adjustments accordingly.

SeidlaSiggi
6 - Meteoroid

It doesn't work mean that my filter values are never updated in the old workflow. No matter which option I choose from the list box, it always takes the values which are written in the filter tool.

There is no major difference in the data as I want the dynamic filter to work for a string variable in both cases. 

SeidlaSiggi
6 - Meteoroid

It doesn't work mean that my filter values are never updated in the old workflow. No matter which option I choose from the list box, it always takes the values which are written in the filter tool.

There is no major difference in the data as I want the dynamic filter to work for a string variable in both cases. 

I just realized that I have the same problem as described above with the following Numeric Up Down Tool...any hints what to consider here?

sparksun
11 - Bolide

if the data can't be shared, could you show how you configure the tools? You'd better have a sample file for others to test and find the root cause.

SeidlaSiggi
6 - Meteoroid

You're right, there you go. Again it's a simplified version. Thanks a lot for your effort!

sparksun
11 - Bolide

The Listbox tool works fine,

For Numeric Up Down tool, you should have a slightly change (remember to highlight expression-value row):

forum.jpg

SeidlaSiggi
6 - Meteoroid

Hi sparksun,

I'm sorry for not replying earlier.

For any reason, your solution did not update the value as expected. I came up with another solution, working without the action tool and connect the Numeric Up Down Tool and (afterwards other Interface-Tools) directly to the symbol to the left of the lightning-connector. After some configuration the app worked as expected.

Thanks again for your help and cheers,

Yannik

Labels