Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic Delete Tool

mrai02
7 - Meteor

Hello everyone in the community,

I am currently working on a project, were we provide data from a excel file and map the columns of the initial file with another file with the help of dynamic rename tool. I now want to give the user the ability to delete the columns which will specified in a excel file and Alteryx will delete the columns(from the initial file), which are provided by the user in the file. is there any tool like dynamic delete or something which can be used here?
note: I am new to alteryx so if possible is give a logical flowchart for doing so.
Thanks in advance of the help

2 REPLIES 2
DataNath
17 - Castor

An interesting use case @mrai02 - my initial thought went to transposing data before conducting a join on field names and taking anything that came out of the L anchor (i.e. didn't match the fields to be deleted). However, I then thought that something like this would be a lot simpler and just an extension on what you're currently using. Basically, use your 'fields to delete' file as a lookup and leverage the dynamic rename tool to name these fields something that couldn't possibly be there legitimately. In my example I've just called them '%DEL%' (subsequent fields will get the next number added as there can't be multiple fields of a same name).

DataNath_0-1663138862876.pngDataNath_1-1663138874102.png

I configure the dynamic rename like so:

DataNath_3-1663138915042.png

After the rename I end up with this:

DataNath_2-1663138895984.png

Then I can use the dynamic select tool, using a formula to remove all field names containing '%DEL%', which leaves me with this:

DataNath_4-1663138969014.png

Have attached the workflow used here. Hope this helps and please do shout up if you need any further help!

mrai02
7 - Meteor

Thanks for the brilliant solution @DataNath . It was simple to understand and easy to implement . Thanks a lot for this solution.

Labels