Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Duplicate String value in two columns

JAF
6 - Meteoroid

I am trying to insert the same string value into two adjoining columns.  Like so:

Nameemployee numberRoleTitle
John Smith12345AnalystAnalyst
Jane Doe67890LeaderManager
Bob Grant45678Engineer

Senior Engineer

How do I force text into Role and Title of Analyst for John Smith in first row?

8 REPLIES 8
echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

If I understand your question, you can use a formula tool to isolate the row with conditional statements then update the values where needed.

echuong1_0-1584709978193.png

JAF
6 - Meteoroid

Thank echuong1...

I tried the same thing but I get Null in the second field.  Like two identical values are not allowed:

JAF_0-1584710783268.png

Dave Harvey should be in both columns but I get a [Null] on the second column.  Could it be my Alteryx version?

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

You can have the same value in multiple columns. Are you able to upload your workflow and/or a sample of the data you're working with? Based on the screenshot, I can't see the syntax of the formula you're updating with.

JAF
6 - Meteoroid

I went ahead and dropped the Alteryx work flow.

I'm working with Salesforce.  How do I drop Salesforce data?

JAF
6 - Meteoroid

I couldn't see the Alteryx workflow I inserted...

Ah...  It's there now...

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Can you write the data coming in from Salesforce to an excel file and upload that? You have multiple Salesforce inputs, and I think the error is coming from the formula tool at the end. I really just need the data coming out of the Sort tool (highlighted below).

With regard to the values being null in your last screenshot, one of the formulas that has a null output is probably overwritting the values.

echuong1_0-1584712233081.png

JAF
6 - Meteoroid

Hi echoung1,

I was pulled into a meeting.

I asked one of the other developers and he said he would get back to me.

I'll ping you later if I don't get a response from my coworker.

Thanks again!

JAF
6 - Meteoroid

HI again echoung1...

You were absolutely correct.  In my formula I assigning values that were null.  Thanks for pointing that out.  I will mark your response as resolved.

Thank you again and warm regards!

Labels