Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Drop down list/update values

CJHM
7 - Meteor

Hi, I have a set of data with sales from different countries and different brands. I am trying to create an option whereby the user can first choose a country and a brand and then the rest of the flow carries with it only that country and only that brand. Is this possible? I have been trying to use drop down list and update values but am struggling.. Thank you in advance! 

10 REPLIES 10
ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @CJHM - You can dynamically update drop down lists of values depending on the previous selection using chained apps. The exact process is very well explained in the following interactive lesson: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/Chaining-Analytic-Apps/ta-p/243120 

CJHM
7 - Meteor

thanks! I think what I am trying to do is even simpler than this because I don't need one list to be dependent or update based on the other - I am just struggling to carry whatever the user inputs through to my flow. Basically I have all the steps created for one country. Now I want to replicate this for a bunch of countries without having to use loads of filters or "if then" so I would like for the user to first be asked about which country they want to look at and then for my flow to only carry that country through. I am sure there is a relatively simple way but I cannot find it. 

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi @CJHM , I have prepared a demo workflow. I hope this will help you.

grazitti_sapna_0-1604310715878.png

If this is what you are looking for kindly mark this post as solution.

Thanks.

Sapna Gupta
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

This is an amazing workaround @grazitti_sapna 🙂

Thanks for this great learning 😀

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

@CJHM , In case you want this app using drop down tool.

grazitti_sapna_0-1604310987996.png

Thanks.

Sapna Gupta
grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

@atcodedog05 , it is always a pleasure to find new solutions and also learn a lot from you guys 🙂

Thank you.

Sapna Gupta
CJHM
7 - Meteor

thank you so much - I think this would work but, sorry, I am not sure how to use it - can I get the actual flow so I can see how you've done it? when I download what you posted it just opens the app but I want to replicate it 🙂 

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

@CJHM , drag and drop the file on the canvas it will open as workflow, as when we create an app it cannot be exported as yxmd file.

Thanks.

Sapna Gupta
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

@grazitti_sapna 

I think you just solved one of greatest roadblocks where we would be forced to use a chained app to supply values. And its solved by this workaround. Where values is converted to column header and can be supplied as value list.

atcodedog05_0-1604311501919.gif

Labels