Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Desktop Designer | Use output of previous run to compare with input of current run

alteryxuser20
5 - Atom

Hello everyone,

I have created a workflow which takes in a list of UNIQUE_IDs, lets call it 'previous_input'

Then the workflow joins with other data, does some logical calculations and creates an output.

Lets call this output as 'previous_output'

Similar terms 'current_input', 'current_output' for current/next run.

Within the same workflow, I need to use UNIQUE_IDs from previous_output, to compare with UNIQUE_IDs from current_input and process only the new UNIQUE_ID to give result as current_output.

So, if you see, there is an underlying circular reference, because I am using output as an input within the same workflow.

Using "Block Until Done" tools, I am able to output the data (previous_output) to a folder. My current_input reading begins only after writing previous_output is complete.

So timing is not a problem.

However, when I try to use "Join" tool (Left = current_input, Right = previous_input, joining field = UNIQUE_ID to take Left join output), I get 'Loop in connection tools: cannot execute error'.

I understand the circular reference nature of my situation but is there any way to get around this?

Unfortunately, I am not able to share my workflow with the community due to security reasons.

If anyone can use mock data and help out with how to overcome such problem, I will truly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

1 REPLY 1
ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

You mentioned "current/next run" and you mentioned "within the same workflow".  So it's not easy to visualize the data flow.

Would it be possible to create a simplified mock workflow to show your data stream(s), and where you're getting the error?

I'm thinking you may need a batch macro (if the logic is the same for "current/next run"), or a chained app.

Chris

Labels