Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Designer| Render tool and creating output into multiple tabs

Mj9715
8 - Asteroid

Hi All, 

I have separate workflows each with a table at the end (total of 5 separate tables) that I need to write out to the same excel file but different tabs using Render tool or output tool. 

For Example, table 1 and table 2 marked needs to be rendered to the same excel but in sheet 1 and sheet 2. Any way to this please?

Mj9715_0-1633878887606.png

5 REPLIES 5
AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hi @Mj9715 ,

I think the following post has the answer to your question:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Render-to-multiple-tabs-in-1-excel-fil...

Essentially you should create a new column after each table tool that will contain that tab name (if you don't have that information already) and then union all streams together.

Then in your layout tool, you should select the orientation to be Vertical with Section Breaks, set the section name to be the column you created above and then render the output.

Hope that helps,

Angelos

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

@AngelosPachisis right on - you should have the sheets going into the table tool though - and you should group by the sheet name (but not necessarily include it as data).  That way each sheet will (presumably) have a different table on it. Then Layout/Vertical with Section Breaks and scroll all the way down to find the option to name the section break.

Also remember when you render you don't include a sheet name...

Mj9715
8 - Asteroid

@AngeloPachias thanks I have a follow up question. My 5 different data streams have different data structure, i.e., different columns/fields and so on. Thus union tool (output all fields) isn't working the way I hoped. Since joining all the data streams is necessary for the the layout field to work the way suggested below. Any way to union this kind of varying datasets into one?

AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

@Mj9715 What if you create a single table for each stream and then union the table reporting snippets together?

That will grant you more flexibility on which rows/columns you want to keep in each table by using a filter tool before each table tool if you need to exclude rows or by dropping columns that you don't need in the table tool itself

Here's an example

AngelosPachis_0-1634083062188.png

Let me know if that works for you.

Cheers,

Angelos

Mj9715
8 - Asteroid

@AngelosPachis thanks so much - union of the table worked like a charm. 

Labels