Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Designer - Isolating the one rows while others combined by two rows

DanielCarro
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I have a task which I am not very sure how to tackle it and need some guidance

So there are thousands of rows as per the example below, so items such as BANK/PAID are 'paired' and the same per PAID/CREDIT, NOTE THE ORDER OF THE PAIRS, so what I need to do is to isolate the row I have highlighted in black as this needs to investigate.

CUSTOMERTRANSACTIONDATE
ABANK01/01/2022
APAID01/01/2022
ABANK02/02/20222
APAID02/02/2022
ABANK03/03/2022
BBANK01/01/2022
BPAID01/01/2022
BPAID01/02/2022
BCREDIT02/02/2022

Kind Regards,

Dan

7 REPLIES 7
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @DanielCarro 

Here's an example of how to flag this using a multi-row formula. by customer, it will check if 'BANK' records are followed by 'PAID'. You can then filter on the flag field to find your items. Hopefully this gets you on the right track. You can use similar logic for Paid/Credit

Luke_C_0-1669908835962.png

DanielCarro
8 - Asteroid

Hi Luke, can you combine two if statements in the multi-row formula?

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @DanielCarro 

Yes, you would use an elseif to continue with your logic:

if [TRANSACTION] = 'BANK' and [Row+1:TRANSACTION] != 'PAID' then 1

ElseIf ..... (logic for Paid/Credit)

else 0 endif

Your example data doesn't have a case to flag the second criteria, so not sure what exactly the logic needs to be. My suggestion would be to give it a shot on your own and post back if you have any issues, that's the best way to learn. 

DanielCarro
8 - Asteroid

Hi Luke, 

BANK       0

PAID         0

CREDIT   1

PAID        0

Credit should be 0

Using two if statements

if [PAY_CODE] = 'DAILY_SCHEDULE_HOURS' and [Row+1:PAY_CODE] != 'WORKED_EL' then 1 Elseif [PAY_CODE] = 'ANNUAL_LEAVE' and [Row+1:PAY_CODE] != 'DAILY_SCHEDULE_HOURS' then 1 else 0 endif

Luke_C
17 - Castor

That syntax looks correct, I'm not following if you have a question or issue? 

DanielCarro
8 - Asteroid

Credit should be 0 as it is a pair

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Credit is showing as 0 with the sample data provided, can you give the specific example in the context of the original dataset? Where is it wrong and what is the expected value.

Labels