Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Delete Rows in File 1 based on unique ID match in file #2

lhew2998
5 - Atom

Hi all,

I've got 2 files that i'm trying to cross check.

File #1 contains a large amount of data, inclusive of rows of data (identified via a Unique ID) that are irrelevant for my purposes.

File #2 contains a list of all relevant unique ID's that i'd like to keep (alternatively i also have file #3 that has all irrelevant Unique IDs)

What i'm trying to do is cross check File #1 against File #2 and delete all rows in File #1 with Unique Id's not within File #2

e.g.

Before

File #1

Unique ID

Description

Amount

123.XYZ

test

223.ABC

test 1

test 2

File #2

Unique ID

223.ABC

After

File #1

Unique ID

Description

Amont

223.ABC

test 1

test 2

5 REPLIES 5
Chrispy
7 - Meteor

If you connect the two files using the join tool, joining on the unique ID, then center output should be what you are looking for - it'll be everything from file #1 (the left input) that had a match found in file #2 (the right input).

Joe_Mako
12 - Quasar

Attached is what @Chrispy describes

join.png

lhew2998
5 - Atom

Hi Both,

sorry, I may have misrepresented the ID portion of my question.

The actual ID i'm filtering on is an account number (rather than a unique line number)

as such there may be 100,000 lines associated to this account number that I need deleted.

When I run the join workflow comparing my 2 files, the output is only 2,000 lines long as it is taking the first 2,000 instances of this account filter, rather than 1,000,000 that I expect.

Given that the Unique id (per file #2) is not unique to each line in File #1, is there a way to delete all rows in file 1 with that account number?

e.g.

Before

File #1

Line ID

Account ID

Description

Amount

123.XYZ

test

223.ABC

test 1

test 2

File #2

Unique Account ID

After

File #1

Line ID

Account ID

Description

Amount

223.ABC

test 1

test 2

Chrispy
7 - Meteor

I think I misunderstood what you were initially trying to do, however, I still believe joining the two files on the account ID is the way to go. Assuming you connect file #1 to the left input, and file #2 to the right, the three outputs should give you the following:

Left output: all account IDs from file #1 that did not have a matching account ID in file #2

Join (center) output: all account IDs that appear in both file #1 and file #2

Right output: all account ID's from file #2 that did not have a matching account ID in file #1

That said, I think the left output is what you are looking for. Anything from file #1 that has an account ID contained in file #2 will be sent to the Join (center) output, leaving only file #1 account IDs without a match in the left output. If this is not the case, let me know, and we can try to troubleshoot the problem further.

lhew2998
5 - Atom

Solved!

realised it was actually a problem with my File #2 that was causing my problem

thanks so much!

Labels