Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Data filter without editing workflow.

sachinsg
7 - Meteor

Hi All,

Hope everyone are safe and healthy!!!

I am working on some project and I am stuck at some point. So I need to give a option to user to select year and months for further testing. I can do it within workflow and ask user to edit formula every time. But I don't want to do so.

For instance, I need to run this workflow every month. So now I need June 2019 - May 2020. and next month July 2019 - June 2020.

After this filter further testing is done. so this should be an option in between the workflow. Say I get a pop up to select year/years and months.

Thanks in advance.

10 REPLIES 10
grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi @sachinsg, in this case you need to create an app.Try this if it helps.

Thanks.

grazitti_sapna_0-1594275855082.png

Sapna Gupta
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

You can create an app that allows the user to select the start date and end date, like below (example attached)

DavidP_0-1594276787885.png

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Alternatively, if the period is always consistent, you can build a filter based on today's date, like this. Then there is no user input required.

DavidP_0-1594277145109.png

sachinsg
7 - Meteor

Hi DavidP

Period is not consistent. Period keeps increasing. But for testing purpose I will need very specific period data. I mean specific year and months.

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @sachinsg,

With consistent I meant, something you can write into a formula, such as:

for this month: Jun 2019 to May 2020

for next month: Jul 2019 to Jun 2020

and so on...

the formula for this would be (current date - 13 months)  to (current date - 2 months)

That's what I tried to show. If the period is not predictable like that, you're back to getting the user to input the start and end date, as in my 1st example.

sachinsg
7 - Meteor

Looking at the image, this should work for me. But unfortunately my firm has provided 2018.4 version still. So I am not able to access the workflow as it was built in latest version.

sachinsg
7 - Meteor

Hi @grazitti_sapna, Thanks for the response. This is what I was looking for. But unfortunately my firm has provided 2018.4 version still. So I am not able to access the workflow as it was built in latest version. 😞

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Try this version.

You can usually take a workflow from a newer version, open it in a text editor like notepad and edit the 2nd line to change the version to what you need it to be.

sachinsg
7 - Meteor

Thanks for helping me learn how to change the version and see the workflow. I am able to open the analytical app. But, Like I mentioned I need to add further steps for my testing once the user selects the months. This should be in between my workflow once I select input and the user has to chose the months and then workflow should have further testing.

So how do I edit this app? I am not getting any edit options to "data range selector".

Labels