Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Data Source Name does not show in drop down list after setting In-DB Connection

NPham00
8 - Asteroid

Hi everyone,

i wanted to write in Maria DB, so i installed the necessary driver for Maria DB: https://help.alteryx.com/20213/designer/mariadb

After that i followed the setup of @jarrod (https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Is-MariaDB-compatible-with-In-database...) and @PeterP (https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Error-Data-source-name-not-found-an...). The connection is successfully tested.

However the DSN does not show in drop down list for selecting. I tried forcing this with connecting querry but i failed too (Error: No database selected). Someone has an idea, what is it about?

Screenshot of setup and error:

NPham00_0-1642415723425.png

NPham00_1-1642415775116.png

NPham00_2-1642415977271.png

20 REPLIES 20
NPham00
8 - Asteroid

It's for me to writing to. 
I tried to set up the connection in Output Tool as above. The querry is below

NPham00_0-1642522071550.png

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Humor me on this one - delete the two output data fields.

Drag a Datastream In. Define your table name and options there.

Drag a Write In-DB. Repeat table name et all there.

I don't use Output data much to write to DBs but you will need schema and table for both.

NPham00
8 - Asteroid

The same error with Datastream-In. It says "No Database selected".
What does it even mean ...

NPham00_1-1642580113612.png

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

that's not a database. That's a table name.

To write you need to include a DB, a Schema and a table. so like "DB"."TEST"."test" - Your data admin team should be able to provide you this syntax.

NPham00
8 - Asteroid

I'm sorry for taking so long. I've got finally supports from the IT-Appartment today.
We could create the connection and database on the MySQL Client. In the "test" Database we created several tables (1. Foto). Back in Alteryx i can not select any table nor databases.
2.Foto: Setting for connection parameters.
3.Foto: In-DB Setting
4.Foto: No tables show after refreshing ... Here i cant change the connection Name like u said, otherwise i'll get an error (5. Foto)

NPham00_0-1643123275069.png

NPham00_1-1643123480772.png

NPham00_2-1643123556421.png

NPham00_3-1643123682638.png

NPham00_4-1643123869961.png

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

your connection name is test - not test books.

drag a text input.

write the number 1 in it.

drag a datastream in.

try creating a table called something like "TEST"."TEST2" or I don't know if MariaDB needs a schema included. "TEST"."TEST"."TEST2"

create a table in test called something like:

NPham00
8 - Asteroid

I know the DSN is test, it didn't work. So i tried like you recommended with "test.books" but it doesn't work neither.
Datastream-In doesn't work obviously, because there was no connection (with In-DB). All 3 options failed as output with "test", "test.test2" and "test.test.test2"

NPham00_0-1643124867102.png

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

wait - you have a database now in your TEST connection - now - right? the books one. Can you see it on connect-in-db if you refresh your table view under TEST (not -test books)? If your team created it for you - you should be able to see it but you'll have to refresh your table view? If you already did refresh then I don't really know. It looks like a working connection and clearly you have data there. So I don't know. You are authorized to read the data too - correct?

We're  just trying to get the syntax down it's probably something like "TEST"."TEST"

NPham00
8 - Asteroid

Oh i got it fortunately. There were 2 reasons for this problem in Alteryx (i have no problem in connection through MySQL Client).

1. I have to set the connection with MySQL Driver instead of MariaDB Driver (maybe it's a bug of SIMBA MariaDB within Alteryx).

2. I can't see the created tables in tab "Table" in Connect-IN-DB Tool, even after refreshing. But it worked with SQL Editor (SELECT * FROM test.books)

Thanks so much for your efforts and time

NPham00_0-1643204057006.png

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Wow. This is still incredibly weird. You can write-in-db but you can't see that table you are writing to. I've never seen that (unless you do not have permission to see the table).

Labels