Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Creating a variable in Alteryx

Bharath
8 - Asteroid

Hi ,

I have 500000 variables. I need to create a string cloumn with 20 % of 500000 population as 'first time freshman', 60 % of 500000 population as 'first time transfer' and remaining 20 % as 'third year'

can some one please help me in doing that in alteryx. I thank you in advance.

-Bharath

5 REPLIES 5
Bharath
8 - Asteroid

actually I have 500000 counts sorry not variables. I mentioned it wrongly in my previous post.

-Bharath

michael_treadwell
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Do you already have an indicator for which rows should be marked as First-Time Freshman, First-Time Transfer, and Third Year? If so, use the Formula tool to create a string field.

If you are looking to randomly assign a percentage of your data to a category, you should look at both Create Sample and Sample tool.

Bharath
8 - Asteroid

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your reply.No I dont have indicator for which rows should be marked as First-Time Freshman, First-Time Transfer, and Third Year. I found a way of doing it but the issue is that I have 500000 students. so I if I assign 20% of sample at random to "first time freshman" then those students should not be included for assigning 60% for "First time Transfer " .

please let me know a way solve it.

-Bharath

michael_treadwell
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Using the Create Sample tool you can choose 20%, and 60% which will leave the final 20% from the third output.

Ue the formula tool to create the 'first-time freshman', 'first-time transfer', and 'third year' dimension and then union the results.

I've attached an example.

Bharath
8 - Asteroid

Hi Michael,

Thank you for Helping me.

-Bharath

Labels